Women's golf heads to Arizona

<p>Senior Allison Lindley led all individual statistics for the Ball State women's golf team and&nbsp;hopes to carry the momentum she built last season to this season. The golf&nbsp;team will head to Illinois State University this weekend to compete in the annual Redbird Invitational. <em>Ball State Athletics // Photo Provided&nbsp;</em></p>

Senior Allison Lindley led all individual statistics for the Ball State women's golf team and hopes to carry the momentum she built last season to this season. The golf team will head to Illinois State University this weekend to compete in the annual Redbird Invitational. Ball State Athletics // Photo Provided 

The event, hosted by Western Michigan University, is 54 holes long and will take place Feb. 26-28.

Head coach Katherine Mowat said she thinks the Rio Grande Invitational is a good early-season tournament because it features eight Mid-American Conference teams.

“It is loaded with conference teams,” she said. “[It's] always a good indicator of how we stack up against other teams.”

Ball State finished ninth out of 15 teams in its last tournament, the Eagle Invitational in Estero, Fla., and finished with its best round of the weekend.

Juniors Allison Lindley and Kelsey Sear finished sixth and 11th, respectively, on the individual leaderboard in the Eagle Invitational. Mowat said the high finishes show promise for the Cardinals' development.

“We had two players play solid tournaments from start to finish,” she said. "We see what that does for our team score. It really helps us climb up that leaderboard.”

Mowat also said she thinks it is especially encouraging that the Cardinals shouldn't have to rely on a single good score to propel the team. 

Putting, Mowat said, has been a point of emphasis. She said the effort paid off in Florida, but the team needs to “keep its foot on the gas pedal” going forward.

Live stats will be available on golfstat.com