What you need to know about Obama's 'First Job' proposal

<p>President Obama new "First Job" funding is focused on helping young people gain the skills from having their first job. The proposed budget is nearly $6 billion.<em> DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY</em></p>

President Obama new "First Job" funding is focused on helping young people gain the skills from having their first job. The proposed budget is nearly $6 billion. DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

President Barack Obama proposed "First Job" funding on Feb. 4, aiming to support young people and help them gain the skills that come from having a first job.

His proposal includes a budget of nearly $6 billion, according to a White House press release.

Why is Obama proposing this?

According to a White House press release, people who are unemployed between the ages of 16 and 24 earn $400,000 less over their careers than those who are not.

Obama has recognized starting a career with no previous experience can be hard, but there always has to be a “first job.” In addition, many skills that employers want can only be learned on the job, but young people have a hard time landing those jobs in the first place.

What is he proposing?

Obama’s new proposal includes:

-New partnerships with companies to get first jobs over the summer for nearly 1 million young people

• These partnerships would also help young people who have been out of school or work for up to a year get a paid position for a year.
  • Money management skills will also be taught to those participating in these programs.

-Money to go towards youth who have dropped out or are at “most risk” of dropping out of high school

• The goal is to put them on the path to get their diploma and connecting them to post-secondary education and jobs.

-Development and expansion of apprenticeships and pre-apprenticeship programs

• These will allow young people to "explore their interests in school through work and classroom-based training before starting a formal apprenticeship."
  • There is also a broader proposal to increase funding for state apprenticeship programs.

Obama also proposed new actions which would use existing resources. These include:

-The creation of Talent Hotspots across the U.S.

• These would consist of training programs, employers and workforce and economic developers.
  • The goal is to “make a commitment to recruit and train the workforce to help local businesses grow and thrive, attract more jobs from overseas and fuel the talent needs of entrepreneurs.”

-New Workforce Data Science and Information Fund

• This would help states use data and analytics to improve their training programs.

-New resources for 21st Century Career Navigation

• “Career Navigators” will continue to reach out to workers who are most at risk of not returning to a career after periods of joblessness.
  • So far, the Career Navigators have helped 1 million people find jobs each year. They have matched people to training programs and support services in order to help them succeed.

What is Obama doing for higher education?

In his new budget, Obama aims to:

-Fund the America’s College Promise program

• This would make two years of community college free for “responsible” students, and let them earn skills needed in the workforce at no cost.
  • This would also provide grants to 4-year historically black colleges and universities, as well as minority-serving institutions. The goal is to support two years of college at “zero or reduced” tuition for low-income students.

-Provide year-round Pell Grant availability to low-income students who have exhausted their award

• This would be done through supporting and encouraging on-time degree completion through Pell for Accelerated Completion.

-Increase the Pell Grant by $300

• This would be for students taking at least 15 credit hours per semester in an academic year, through the On-Track Pell Bonus.

-Reward colleges that successfully enroll and graduate a “significant number of low-income students” on time

• The reward would encourage all colleges to improve their performance through a new program called the College Opportunity and Graduation Bonus program.

-Expand postsecondary opportunities for incarcerated individuals eligible for release through the Second Chance Pell proposal

• This would restore their Pell eligibility. The main goals would be helping them “get jobs, support their families, and turn their lives around and strengthen their communities.”

-Protect and sustain the value of the Pell Grant

How would this benefit Ball State students?

-Graduates who are still unemployed a year after graduation would have access to jobs.

-Students would have more access to internships and similar experiences.

-There would be more opportunities for job training.

-Pell Grant recipients would still have access to funds through the grant.

-Pell Grant recipients may have the opportunity to receive more funds through the program.

-If rewarded, Ball State may have more money for scholarships for students or student programs.