Muslim-supporting resolution to be presented at council meeting

<p>The Muncie City Council is proposing a resolution on March 7 to show support for Muslim citzens. Mayor Dennis Tyler proposed this resolution for supporter and to condemn anti-Muslim hate speech and violence. <em>DN FILE PHOTO ALLIE KIRKMAN</em></p>

The Muncie City Council is proposing a resolution on March 7 to show support for Muslim citzens. Mayor Dennis Tyler proposed this resolution for supporter and to condemn anti-Muslim hate speech and violence. DN FILE PHOTO ALLIE KIRKMAN

Mayor Dennis Tyler has proposed a resolution to not only show support, but also to condemn anti-Muslim hate speech and violence. 

The resolution will go to Muncie City Council on March 7.

Tyler said he saw so many bad things in the media, so he gathered with other religious leaders and educators to share his concerns. 

When he met with the leaders of the Islamic Center of Muncie, he said they were ecstatic about the resolution, even though they did not feel threatened by anything going on in Muncie. If approved, the ordinance will go into effect immediately after being signed by the city council, the clerk and Tyler.

“It just seemed to me to make good sense that we send a very strong message that Muncie welcomes everybody that’s here in peace," Tyler said. "They can worship, and they can preserve their faith and play by our rules and our laws."

In January, Reconciliation Achieved through Community Engagement (R.A.C.E.) Muncie held a panel discussion with Islamic leaders where over 150 members of the community came to ask questions. 

Jason Donati, stormwater and recycling educator for Muncie and Delaware County, said the group’s mission of reconciliation was born out of the lack of community conversation about events around the world.

He said it's extremely important to have conversations about these issues because he doesn’t feel like they are being discussed.

“There are multiple reasons why we should be having these conversations and promoting and celebrating the unique diversity that is in our community [and] just being more welcoming to all people,” Donati said. “We’re trying to build a stronger network and community that’s supportive and taking preventive steps to hope that nothing bad happens in our community and that we can always stay in healthy dialogue with one another even though we may disagree on some things.”

Most of the members of R.A.C.E. Muncie want people’s perceptions of Muncie to be more than just the negative news portrayed in the media. Donati said the resolution would be powerful and would set a precedent that everyone needs to be respectful, loving, open and caring.

“Any time community leaders like a mayor and a city council takes a strong stance and endorse a specific statement that is inclusive and welcoming to all the different diversities and community leaders and people we have in our community, it’s just a strong step forward,” Donati said. “Usually negative situations tend to be what goes viral. … This will be a positive thing to promote community health.”

Muhammed Maqbool, associate professor of physics and astronomy and president of the Islamic Center of Muncie, said Muslims are in a good community in Muncie.

“This resolution will help a lot, not just for Muslims but for all religions," Maqbool said. "Obviously the U.S. is meant for equality and freedom of speech but when this resolution is passed, it will provide a kind of security to every religion and every idea. Every religion should be respected, so I believe it will have a great impact.”