Gov. Pence nominates new lieutenant governor

<p>Governor Mike Pence, flanked by Lieutenant Governor Sue Ellspermann and Eric Holcomb, gathers staff in the Governor’s Office before Tuesday’s press conference announcing the Governor’s intent to nominate Eric Holcomb as the 51<sup style="background-color: initial;">st</sup> lieutenant governor of the state of Indiana. <em>PHOTO PROVIDED BY MCKENZIE CLIFT</em></p>

Governor Mike Pence, flanked by Lieutenant Governor Sue Ellspermann and Eric Holcomb, gathers staff in the Governor’s Office before Tuesday’s press conference announcing the Governor’s intent to nominate Eric Holcomb as the 51st lieutenant governor of the state of Indiana. PHOTO PROVIDED BY MCKENZIE CLIFT

Gov. Mike Pence announced his intention to nominate Eric Holcomb to be the next lieutenant governor of Indiana on Feb. 9. 

Holcomb will replace Lieutenant Gov. Sue Ellspermann after she resigns to be the president of Ivy Tech Community College.

“I’m pleased to announce my intention to name Eric Holcomb as my nominee for lieutenant governor for the state of Indiana,” Pence said in a press release. “I have known [Holcomb] for nearly 20 years, and his integrity, character and experience make him uniquely qualified for this new role. He is a man of character and distinction, and I am confident he will serve Hoosiers well as we continue our work to make Indiana a great place to live, work and raise a family."

Holcomb said he was grateful for the opportunity to allow him to strengthen Indiana. 

“As we build upon our state’s economic momentum and confront the complex challenges before us, I look forward to working alongside Governor Pence as Indiana’s lieutenant governor to craft Indiana solutions to improve the lives of Hoosiers and move our state forward," Holcomb said.

The lieutenant governor is president of the Indiana Senate and secretary of Agriculture and Rural Development. They also manage six state agencies and chair the Indiana Counter Terrorism and Security Council. 

The nomination must be approved by a majority vote in the Indiana House and Senate.