Workshop helps different generations understand each other in workplace

PHOTO PROVIDED BY MITCH ISSACS
PHOTO PROVIDED BY MITCH ISSACS

Registration Info:

Date: Wednesday, March 2, 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.

Register: shaferleadership.com or call 765-748-0403

Cost: $65 per person, $50 for Emergence Alumni or groups of three or more from one organization, $25 for students

Deadline to Register: Friday. Feb. 26

Workshop Highlights 

-Appreciation of each of the four major generational groups active in the workplace today

-Overview of the challenges and opportunities multi-generational teams present

-Insights regarding world views, needs, and skills sets of the various generations

-Understanding of how to facilitate collaboration among multi-generational group members

Source: Flier from Shafer Leadership 

The Shafer Leadership Academy is focusing on connecting different generations in the workplace environment with a workshop next month.

“Fusion: Leading Multi-Generational Teams” provides people of all ages and backgrounds the tools to develop and enhance their leadership skills, according to the website.

Mitch Isaacs, executive director at Shafer, said Ball State students would benefit from the workshop because some of the people attending are the types of people who may one day supervise them.

“It’s very helpful for you to understand that when you step into a work place, that many managers already have a perception of you as a young person,” Isaacs said.

The workshop has been going on for five years and happens every February or March. In addition, the workshop travels to different cities and companies a few times during the year, Isaacs said.

“[Companies] understand that it benefits them to know how to work with a millennial, how to attract them because they want talent like any company and how to work them and keep them once they are there,” Isaacs said.

Qiana O’Neal is the executive director at the Roy C. Buley Community Center and has participated in the workshop. With her position, she said it is important to work with multi-generations.

“This course is beneficial, causing leaders of all ages to think, prioritize their shared values and leverage the perspectives and capacities of all generations to achieve progress social change together,” O’Neal wrote in an email.

Isaacs describes the workshop as interactive, with participants playing games, talking in small group discussions and analyzing case studies.

“The basic idea is generational differences are real, they influence how we think about work and its valuable to understand them and recognize them,” Isaacs said.

The workshop, which takes place March 2, is expected to draw a variety of people from nonprofit organizations, manufacturers, banking, marketing and hospitals.

Isaacs has invited marketing students from an immersive learning class to attend the workshop for free.