Dance Marathon raises more than $55,000 in 1 day

<p><em>PHOTO COURTESY OF BALL STATE DANCE MARATHON FACEBOOK</em></p>

PHOTO COURTESY OF BALL STATE DANCE MARATHON FACEBOOK

Money raised in past years: 

2015: About $38,000

2014: More than $14,000

Ball State’s Dance Marathon managed to raise more than $55,000 in one day.

The Day of Miracles — which took place Feb. 15 — is focused on students raising as much money as they can. 

At the end of the day, students watched via livestream as the total amount raised during the day was revealed — $62,191.98. 

Students were already posting to their social media pages asking for donations, but they pushed the postings to reach their goal on the Day of Miracles. 

Throughout the day, senior social work major Brandon Puszkiewicz raised enough money to be announced one of the top fundraisers for the Day of Miracles.

“Basically, my tactic was to ask people who donated to me last year that hadn’t donated to me yet this year,” Puszkiewicz said.

Dance Marathon is the largest student-run philanthropic event on campus, and all money raised goes to Riley Children's Hospital. 

Alyssa Thompson, director of fundraising, said she was thankful for all the efforts of everyone involved on campus.

“This could not have been possible without everyone’s involvement," Thompson said. "We are so thankful for everyone who has worked so hard to make this happen, and we cannot wait to see what happens on Saturday."

Fundraising will continue until the final fundraising reveal is announced during the night on Feb. 20 at Dance Marathon. Students and members of DM will be on their feet for 12 hours dancing for the kids who can’t.

The event will take place from 2 p.m. Feb. 20 to 2 a.m. Feb. 21 for those who wish to donate or support those who are participating.