First Main Street Cabaret to raise funds for arts, non-profits

<p>Cornerstone Center for the Arts and the Muncie Symphony League are hosting the first Main Street Cabaret on Feb. 20, a dinner and show. All the money raised during this event will go to the&nbsp;Muncie Symphony Orchestra and Cornerstone Center for the Arts. <em>PHOTO COURTESY OF CORNERSTONEARTS.ORG</em></p>

Cornerstone Center for the Arts and the Muncie Symphony League are hosting the first Main Street Cabaret on Feb. 20, a dinner and show. All the money raised during this event will go to the Muncie Symphony Orchestra and Cornerstone Center for the Arts. PHOTO COURTESY OF CORNERSTONEARTS.ORG

What: Main Street Cabaret fundraiser show

Where: Cornerstone Center for the Arts

When: Saturday, Feb. 20

Dinner begins at 6:30 p.m., show begins at 7:30 p.m.

Ticket information: Tickets for both dinner and the show cost $50.00, tickets for only the show cost $30.00 To purchase tickets, visit Cornerstone's website or call to reserve tickets at 761-289-9687.

On Feb. 20, prepare for an evening of entertainment by the Cornerstone Center for the Arts and the Muncie Symphony League (MSO) to put on the first Main Street Cabaret. The performance will be held at the Cornerstone Center’s headquarters in the former Masonic Temple building at 520 Main Street.

The show is a fundraiser for the local nonprofits MSO and the Cornerstone Center for the Arts, as well as an opportunity for local artists. The cabaret will feature local musicians, vocalists and performers and be emceed by Kent Shuff and Steve Fennimore of Vera Mae’s.

Audience members will be allowed in starting at 6 p.m. for a raffle, cash bar, silent auction and a dinner catered by VKA Kitchen served at 6:30.

Dinner tickets cost $50.00 each, and tables are set up to seat eight guests. There is also an option to purchase an entire table, which costs $400.00. 

The show itself will begin at 7:30 p.m., and tickets are $30.00 each for those who arrive at 7 p.m.

Carly King, the director of education and communication at Cornerstone, said about a third of the 128 tickets have been sold. King feels that these ticket sales are good, considering that the cabaret is a new event.

The Muncie Symphony League came up with the idea for the cabaret in October of last year, King said.

Jennifer Johnson, the executive director of the MSO said, “The idea for the Main Street Cabaret came from Cindy Buchanan, co-president of the Muncie Symphony League. The Muncie Symphony League is the long-time, all-volunteer group which supports the Muncie Symphony Orchestra.” 

The money raised from the Main Street Cabaret will be used for the operational costs of and classes offered by both MSO and Cornerstone.

King thinks that the cabaret could become a yearly tradition.

“Both the Muncie Symphony League and the Cornerstone Center for the Arts are well-known in the community, and people look forward to the good things they do," King said.

The Cornerstone Center for the Arts, which formed in Muncie in 1999, receives more than 90,000 visitors annually, according to their website, and provides space for additional groups to meet. 

The MSO was founded in 1949 and strives to “be the leading fine arts organization presenting symphonic and other musical events within East Central Indiana, and engage in mutually beneficial partnerships leading to a more vibrant community," according to its website. 

The MSO puts on the Young Peoples Concert and Music on the Move!, which are both opportunities for elementary students to learn about classical music. 

The Main Street Cabaret is sponsored by Old National Bank, Praxis Consulting, Wall’s Furniture and Mattress and 104.1 WLBC. And of course, Shuff and Fennimore are hosting, which they see as a way to give back.

“The community has done so much for us personally and for Vera Mae’s. This is a small way to pay back what has been given,” they said.

Steve Lindell, vice president and director of operations at WLBC, said the station has supported Cornerstone Center for the Arts and participates in many fundraising and community events throughout the year, including A Taste of Muncie and various Christmas events.

“As for [the] cabaret, when we heard of the effort being mounted, and the amount of community people lending their talents to the stage, it seemed like another nice effort to support,” he said.