Ball State alumnus, best-selling author talks leadership

Books by John Kaufeld:

Access 2003 For Dummies

AOL For Dummies

Trading Card Games for Dummies

Developing eBay Business Tools For Dummies

Games Online For Dummies

The Official America Online Yellowpages

(via Amazon.com)

John Kaufeld, a Ball State alumnus, took to Cardinal Hall at 7 p.m. on Jan. 31 to speak as a part of Excellence in Leadership's workshop series.

Kaufeld is an entrepreneur and best-selling author of some of the "... For Dummies" books that focus primarily on computers and technology. 

Kaufeld spreads his message that nobody should be afraid of being a leader. He inspired students that are typically more followers to be vulnerable and take on leadership roles.

"The moment when he said, 'a leader is someone who shares vulnerabilities, which allows others to find commonalities' really impacted me,” said Savannah Lundgren, a sophomore zoology and wildlife major. 

John Kaufeld

“I've always approached leadership roles in my life by acting like I don't make mistakes and have my life together. But now I realize that people would rather follow someone that they relate to, instead of someone who's scary to approach because they're seemingly perfect,” she said.

Lundgren participates in the Excellence in Leadership class and said she plans to build stronger relationships with people by being more open to them.

Kaufeld told students to know that they should not compare themselves to others that they believe are smarter and more talented than them. They shouldn’t let fear of failure stop them from standing up and being a leader.

Kaufeld talks about not listening to the little voice in your head who tells you that you’re not good enough. This a result of "impostor syndrome," in which people feel that their achievements are undeserved or they will be revealed as a fake.

Seventy percent of people will experience this feeling of impostor syndrome at least once in their life, according to the study “The Impostor Phenomenon” researched by Jaruwan Sakulku and James Alexander.

“I wish that when I was here at Ball State, somebody had said 'Hey, here’s something that you’re struggling with, and here’s what to do about it,'” Kaufeld said of impostor syndrome. “I want to give that knowledge back and maybe make people’s paths a little easier.”