Byte Top Five: Worst Designed Pokemon

With the twentieth anniversary of Pokémon on the horizon, the Byte Features team will be looking at the best and worst of those Pocket Monsters you can’t help by love. This week we will be looking at the worst designed Pokemon

5. Stunfisk- Emily Reuben

Stunfisk is one of the most unappealing creatures. It’s a flounder with dead eyes and a beak. This thing looks like its suffering, it knows that nobody wants it and is forever doomed to be one of the worst creations in the Pokémon universe. I feel sad looking at it.

What is truly unfortunate is that Stunfisk has a really unique typing, but honestly, does that justify having this on a team? Would any trainer really want to take the time to train this guy when you could have anything else? Having six Magikarp is better than having one Stunfisk. At least Magikarp turns into a cool water dragon, but Stunfisk just stays being a creepy mud fish. Sadly, being the only electric/ground type in the Pokémon world just isn’t enough to save Stunfisk from its own awful design.

4. Klinklang - Jake Doolin

Badly designed Pokemon are a dime a dozen and can usually get a laugh, but the truly worst designed Pokemon are the ones that make you stop and question what exactly was going on in the designer's head when they made it. Klinklang is one such Pokemon, resembling a pile of junk it offers up none of the usual cuteness that Pokemon typically have.

Instead Klinklang is a nightmarish collection of gears that seem very unhappy with their life. The constant look of shock on the main face makes me believe it too knows how it looks and is just as frightened as I am.

3. Lickilicky - Dalton Martin 

The Pokemon franchise is infamous for including incredibly ‘derpy’ looking creatures, and Lickilicky is the embodiment of just that. Being the evolution to Lickitung is awful enough, but somehow they made poor Lickilicky look even worse than its evolutionary kin. Just look at the creature, it looks like if Grimace mated with one of those horses from Adventure Time.

Also being a Normal-type with no decent qualities does not help its case at all. Why any Trainer would reasonably want to catch this thing is beyond me. Lickilicky is just one of those sad and pathetic looking creatures plagued by horrible design, and will probably never see the light of day outside of it’s Pokeball due to it.

2. Voltorb - Meghan Duffy

Voltorb is one of the laziest pokemon designs out there. One of the laziest, no, it is the laziest. The only redeeming factor that could ever be said for Voltorb is there are cool fan theories out there that a Haunter possessed a pokeball. That’s giving this pokemon too much credit though. Voltorb is just a sloppily designed pokemon probably rushed out at the last second. If there’s any reason why generation one isn’t the miracle land that people remember it as, Voltorb and its evolution Electrode can easily be the reason why. Even their names are terrible and uncreative. Voltorb is just awful.

1. Vanilluxe - Nick Dowell

Do you know how many Pokemon were designed by Americans? Three. And they are the absolute worst.

Vanillite is cute. I will give it that. But then it evolves and just descends into horribleness. Vanillish and Vanilluxe are the two ugliest Pokemon I have ever seen, and I’ve seen Garbodor. It looks incredibly stupid, and with one side of them drooling, it’s almost insulting. It’s supposed to be the “Snowstorm Pokemon” but it’s really just two scoops of soft-swirl ice cream. Look how intimidating it isn’t! It blows it’s attack out of a wafer straw!