Anime Crossroads: Photo Gallery

Anime Crossroads was held from February 19-21 at the Wyndham Indianapolis West Convention Center. There was a wide variety of cosplays at the convention. From a huge Undertale photoshoot, to cosplayers from older series such as Sailor Moon and Final Fantasy, all sorts of cosplayers could be seen at the con.

Utauloid Kasane Teto (Sei Haruka) alongside Vocaloid Kaito (Kiki Yamada)[/caption]

“Teto actually has a lot of meaning to me,” Haruka said. “Before I was in the cosplay community, I was and still am a roleplayer. Years ago I was in a Vocaloid role-play group and Teto was my character. It was how I met one of my best friends, Zachary. He role-played Len Kagamine. He and I have been best friends for seven years now. We still haven’t met but he is a constant in my life and I owe where I am in life to him. I cosplay Teto as a tribute to our friendship. On top of that, I love the character. We both love bread and try our hardest to be something others say we cannot. In Teto’s case, an idol like Miku. In my case, a cosplayer. Another thing I relate to is we both have our bugs. I struggle from mental and physical disorders and she’s an imperfect Vocaloid (Utauloid).”

Andrew Runyon is cosplaying as Titan Eren from Attack on Titan, alongside LadyShady Shallaen and Rachael Martin, who are cosplaying as Tsukiyama and Kaneki from Tokyo Ghoul. “I cosplay as Titan Eren because I can share my love for the character,” Runyon said. “I may not have his muscles but that doesn’t stop me. It shouldn’t stop anyone wanting to cosplay the character they want to cosplay. No one should be a judge of who they should cosplay just by their body. Even though I am a very skinny Titan Eren, everyone at the con loved me. I couldn’t go ten steps because someone would ask for a picture. It made me feel happy. It made me feel accepted.”

Andrew Runyon is cosplaying as Titan Eren from Attack on Titan, alongside LadyShady Shallaen and Rachael Martin, who are cosplaying as Tsukiyama and Kaneki from Tokyo Ghoul.

“I cosplay as Titan Eren because I can share my love for the character,” Runyon said. “I may not have his muscles but that doesn’t stop me. It shouldn’t stop anyone wanting to cosplay the character they want to cosplay. No one should be a judge of who they should cosplay just by their body. Even though I am a very skinny Titan Eren, everyone at the con loved me. I couldn’t go ten steps because someone would ask for a picture. It made me feel happy. It made me feel accepted.”

Aleia Short and Emmett Ambrose are cosplaying as Bonnie and Marionette from Five Nights at Freddy’s. “Bonnie is probably my favorite character in the FNAF franchise,” Short said. “They are just so much fun to do because they pop up during the first night as a first jump scare and that leaves an impression on the player.” “I love cosplaying as Marionette, specifically the design I put together for them,” Ambrose said. “I really enjoy cosplaying from horror games, and the fact that I’m also kind of afraid of actual marionettes kind of makes it a lot more fun!”

Aleia Short and Emmett Ambrose are cosplaying as Bonnie and Marionette from Five Nights at Freddy’s.

“Bonnie is probably my favorite character in the FNAF franchise,” Short said. “They are just so much fun to do because they pop up during the first night as a first jump scare and that leaves an impression on the player.” “I love cosplaying as Marionette, specifically the design I put together for them,” Ambrose said. “I really enjoy cosplaying from horror games, and the fact that I’m also kind of afraid of actual marionettes kind of makes it a lot more fun!”

Shelby Campbell and Steph Hii are cosplaying as Sinon and Kirito from Sword Art Online. “I really liked Sinon because she was a really relatable character to me,” Campbell said. “I also fell in love with her eyes and the GGO arc itself. My favorite color is also blue so that swayed my decision. Plus the rifle is gorgeous and a fun prop to tote around.” “GGO Kirito isn’t done as often,” Hii said. “But I like cosplaying as GGO Kiritio because I made the lightsaber myself out of 3D printed parts, and I just like the character design honestly.”

Shelby Campbell and Steph Hii are cosplaying as Sinon and Kirito from Sword Art Online. 

“I really liked Sinon because she was a really relatable character to me,” Campbell said. “I also fell in love with her eyes and the GGO arc itself. My favorite color is also blue so that swayed my decision. Plus the rifle is gorgeous and a fun prop to tote around.”

“GGO Kirito isn’t done as often,” Hii said. “But I like cosplaying as GGO Kiritio because I made the lightsaber myself out of 3D printed parts, and I just like the character design honestly.”

Bret Collins is cosplaying as Kefka from Final Fantasy VI. He won Best In Show at the cosplay contest this year. “What I enjoy the most about cosplaying Kefka is the all around sense of ridiculousness about it,” Collins said. “While in all that mess of fabric and make-up, you feel a strange mixture of crazy and creepy that you almost are forced to give off in your personality in order to sell the character. Using the feeling to my advantage, I’m able to get out of my shell and interact with new people that I never would have, had I not done the costume.”

Bret Collins is cosplaying as Kefka from Final Fantasy VI. He won Best In Show at the cosplay contest this year.

“What I enjoy the most about cosplaying Kefka is the all around sense of ridiculousness about it,” Collins said. “While in all that mess of fabric and make-up, you feel a strange mixture of crazy and creepy that you almost are forced to give off in your personality in order to sell the character. Using the feeling to my advantage, I’m able to get out of my shell and interact with new people that I never would have, had I not done the costume.”

Olivia Golden, Kourteney Biddle, and Mysty Sutter are cosplaying as Celty from Durarara!!, Yato from Noragami, and Harley Quinn from Marvel. “Being my first ever con, I enjoyed how excited people were to see me,” Golden said. “I also loved when they would ask me questions only to receive voiceless responses from the dark, mysterious, faceless figure, when I was in character. As well as giving people advice on the materials I used to make the cosplay.” “For me being Yato, I really enjoyed the smiles that I brought to other people,” Biddle said. “Especially when I was handing out five yen coins for fun to random people. I just love seeing them enjoying the moment with me even if it was a short one. Not to mention it was really cool to have two people come up to me with two pennies and asked me to make their wishes come true. So all in all I love making people smile and having fun with them, especially in character.” “I liked being childish and just being insanely weird,” Sutter said.

Olivia Golden, Kourteney Biddle, and Mysty Sutter are cosplaying as Celty from Durarara!!, Yato from Noragami, and Harley Quinn from Marvel.

“Being my first ever con, I enjoyed how excited people were to see me,” Golden said. “I also loved when they would ask me questions only to receive voiceless responses from the dark, mysterious, faceless figure, when I was in character. As well as giving people advice on the materials I used to make the cosplay.”

“For me being Yato, I really enjoyed the smiles that I brought to other people,” Biddle said. “Especially when I was handing out five yen coins for fun to random people. I just love seeing them enjoying the moment with me even if it was a short one. Not to mention it was really cool to have two people come up to me with two pennies and asked me to make their wishes come true. So all in all I love making people smile and having fun with them, especially in character.”

“I liked being childish and just being insanely weird,” Sutter said.

Andrew Brown, far left, is cosplaying as Frisk from Undertale, alongside several other Undertale cosplayers. “I love that Frisk is a unique character,” Brown said. “They’re easy to cosplay and it’s really fun to be in character. It’s a popular cosplay.”

Andrew Brown, far left, is cosplaying as Frisk from Undertale, alongside several other Undertale cosplayers.

“I love that Frisk is a unique character,” Brown said. “They’re easy to cosplay and it’s really fun to be in character. It’s a popular cosplay.”

Gretchan Sims and Maggie Cz are cosplaying Veld and Rufus Shinra from Final Fantasy VII. “[Rufus] is a larger-than-life character whose ideas are as big as his ego,” Cz said. “I don’t know why, but I love characters like that.” Gretchan Sims and Maggie Cz are cosplaying Veld and Rufus Shinra from Final Fantasy VII.“[Rufus] is a larger-than-life character whose ideas are as big as his ego,” Cz said. “I don’t know why, but I love characters like that.”

Danny Bennett is cosplaying as Asriel from Undertale. “This was my first time really interacting with the Undertale fandom,” Bennett said. “And I have to say my favorite thing just had to be the love pouring from every single soul that I interacted with from both the fandom and the ones who simply thought it was a cute cosplay. No one hated on each other. It truly felt like I belonged somewhere, and even beginning to return that love everyone. It made me so happy that it brought me to tears. I’ve never been shown such kindness from a group of people.”

Danny Bennett is cosplaying as Asriel from Undertale.

“This was my first time really interacting with the Undertale fandom,” Bennett said. “And I have to say my favorite thing just had to be the love pouring from every single soul that I interacted with from both the fandom and the ones who simply thought it was a cute cosplay. No one hated on each other. It truly felt like I belonged somewhere, and even beginning to return that love everyone. It made me so happy that it brought me to tears. I’ve never been shown such kindness from a group of people.”

Dale Williams and Rakeru Diamond are cosplaying as Super Saiyan God Goku from Dragon Ball and Sting Eucliffe from Fairy Tail. “Goku represents everything that’s good in a person,” Williams said. “He never asks for recognition from the world, but always comes to its aid when it’s in danger. He takes mercy on people who aren’t evil, but just have had a rough life and makes them his friends. And above all he works hard of the hope that he can keep pushing himself to become greater than before. Goku is based on Sun Wukong, the Monkey King of the Chinese epic journey to the west. And while the stories differ, the strength of both characters do not differ. I am a bodybuilder in spare time in addition to being an otaku, so Goku is my inspiration and I love everything about him.” “I like to cosplay Sting,” Diamond said. “I liked his character and his cocky attitude. At first he was an enemy but now he’s not. He’s a fun character to be.”

Dale Williams and Rakeru Diamond are cosplaying as Super Saiyan God Goku from Dragon Ball and Sting Eucliffe from Fairy Tail.

“Goku represents everything that’s good in a person,” Williams said. “He never asks for recognition from the world, but always comes to its aid when it’s in danger. He takes mercy on people who aren’t evil, but just have had a rough life and makes them his friends. And above all he works hard of the hope that he can keep pushing himself to become greater than before. Goku is based on Sun Wukong, the Monkey King of the Chinese epic journey to the west. And while the stories differ, the strength of both characters do not differ. I am a bodybuilder in spare time in addition to being an otaku, so Goku is my inspiration and I love everything about him.”

“I like to cosplay Sting,” Diamond said. “I liked his character and his cocky attitude. At first he was an enemy but now he’s not. He’s a fun character to be.”

Margaret Lewellen and Leonardo Knightsley are cosplaying as Hinata and Kakashi from Naruto. “I enjoy it a lot because I am usually pretty shy and almost anti-social,” Knightsley said. “When you are dressed up as someone else, it helps a lot, and I think because of this I met and made more friends this year than ever before. I was very comfortable as Kakashi.” “I always get a kick out of people recognizing the character I am and asking for a picture,” Lewellen said. “The greatest moments are when you end up in a giant group of the same anime or dimension that the character you are cosplaying is from.”

Margaret Lewellen and Leonardo Knightsley are cosplaying as Hinata and Kakashi from Naruto.

“I enjoy it a lot because I am usually pretty shy and almost anti-social,” Knightsley said. “When you are dressed up as someone else, it helps a lot, and I think because of this I met and made more friends this year than ever before. I was very comfortable as Kakashi.”

“I always get a kick out of people recognizing the character I am and asking for a picture,” Lewellen said. “The greatest moments are when you end up in a giant group of the same anime or dimension that the character you are cosplaying is from.”

Sarah Irvine and Dean Owens are cosplaying as Bishamon and Yato from Noragami. “I lobe being recognized by people who love the character a lot,” Owens said. “Especially Yato in his kingly attire, I got lots of fangirls and this one guy who even wanted a picture kneeling before me for a YouTube project he was doing. I makes you feel popular like you’re actually the character and you connect with people who like the character.” “I enjoy cosplaying [Bishamon] because she’s strong,” Irvine said. “Normally I don’t have a lot of self-confidence, especially with my body, but it’s easy to become confident when I cosplay because I think I look good. Bitumen is confident and strong and kind, so when I cosplay her I feel more confident that I can be too.”

Sarah Irvine and Dean Owens are cosplaying as Bishamon and Yato from Noragami. "I love being recognized by people who love the character a lot,” Owens said. “Especially Yato in his kingly attire, I got lots of fangirls and this one guy who even wanted a picture kneeling before me for a YouTube project he was doing. I makes you feel popular like you’re actually the character and you connect with people who like the character.”

“I enjoy cosplaying [Bishamon] because she’s strong,” Irvine said. “Normally I don’t have a lot of self-confidence, especially with my body, but it’s easy to become confident when I cosplay because I think I look good. Bitumen is confident and strong and kind, so when I cosplay her I feel more confident that I can be too.”

Rachel Lent and Carly Aldridge are cosplaying as Mew Ichigo and Kish from Tokyo Mew Mew. “I most enjoy the acting part of cosplay, and the reaction you get from people!” Lent said. “I’m super into acting and it’s so much fun when you have a costume you love, plus, taking on the role of the character you are portraying!” “I loved saying, ‘You wanna be my toy’, and making the fangirls swoon,” Aldridge said.

Rachel Lent and Carly Aldridge are cosplaying as Mew Ichigo and Kish from Tokyo Mew Mew.

“I most enjoy the acting part of cosplay, and the reaction you get from people!” Lent said. “I’m super into acting and it’s so much fun when you have a costume you love, plus, taking on the role of the character you are portraying!”

“I loved saying, ‘You wanna be my toy’, and making the fangirls swoon,” Aldridge said.

Melissa Shain is cosplaying as Ayato from Tokyo Ghoul. “Ayato is a very misguided guy,” Shain said. “He’s really mean and violent. He tends to literally kick people in the face and neglect interpersonal skills. I tend to like the villains and cosplay them because they create the conflict that drives the entire story. I don’t like him for what he does, but the story he tells doing it. He’s completely opposite to my personality, and I love him as a character. It’s fun to take on the persona that is so complex and bring it to life, you know? That’s one thing I really love about cosplay.”

Melissa Shain is cosplaying as Ayato from Tokyo Ghoul.

“Ayato is a very misguided guy,” Shain said. “He’s really mean and violent. He tends to literally kick people in the face and neglect interpersonal skills. I tend to like the villains and cosplay them because they create the conflict that drives the entire story. I don’t like him for what he does, but the story he tells doing it. He’s completely opposite to my personality, and I love him as a character. It’s fun to take on the persona that is so complex and bring it to life, you know? That’s one thing I really love about cosplay.”

Lisa Anderson-Kleckner is cosplaying as a mash-up of both Harley Quinn and Maleficent. “They’re two of my favorite characters, and they are both so much fun!”

Lisa Anderson-Kleckner is cosplaying as a mash-up of both Harley Quinn and Maleficent.

“They’re two of my favorite characters, and they are both so much fun!" says Anderson-Kleckner.

Morgan Wysong, Allison Wysong, and Vanessa Anderson are cosplaying as Chiyo Sakura from Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Rey from Star Wars, and Tsunade from Naruto. “I really enjoy cosplaying Chiyo because a lot of people give me compliments about how cute I look!” Morgan Wysong said. “That was the first time I actually wore Rey,” Allison Wysong said. “I decided to make the cosplay in the theater when I was watching the movie. Rey is so great a character and the outfit seemed manageable for me to make. What was most enjoyable about cosplaying as her was definitely feeling like I was a part of her adventure.”

Morgan Wysong, Allison Wysong, and Vanessa Anderson are cosplaying as Chiyo Sakura from Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Rey from Star Wars, and Tsunade from Naruto.

“I really enjoy cosplaying Chiyo because a lot of people give me compliments about how cute I look!” Morgan Wysong said.

“That was the first time I actually wore Rey,” Allison Wysong said. “I decided to make the cosplay in the theater when I was watching the movie. Rey is so great a character and the outfit seemed manageable for me to make. What was most enjoyable about cosplaying as her was definitely feeling like I was a part of her adventure.”

Haley Craig and Krissy Seidle are cosplaying as Kagamine Rin and Gumi from Vocaloid. “I love getting to wear her outfit,” Seidle said. Haley Craig and Krissy Seidle are cosplaying as Kagamine Rin and Gumi from Vocaloid.

“I love getting to wear her outfit,” Seidle said.

Steve Wilson is cosplaying as Gir from Invader Zim. “I’d have to say it’s the nostalgia,” Wilson said. “I grew up with Invader Zim. It’s always a great experience to bring a character I love to life through cosplay.”

Steve Wilson is cosplaying as Gir from Invader Zim.

“I’d have to say it’s the nostalgia,” Wilson said. “I grew up with Invader Zim. It’s always a great experience to bring a character I love to life through cosplay.”

Mandy Machura is cosplaying as Jinx from League of Legends. “I love to cosplay Jinx because I love the character, and I feel really confident when I’m cosplaying her. She makes me feel powerful! And I’m proud that I was able to make the outfit myself.”

Mandy Machura is cosplaying as Jinx from League of Legends.

“I love to cosplay Jinx because I love the character, and I feel really confident when I’m cosplaying her. She makes me feel powerful! And I’m proud that I was able to make the outfit myself.”

Jace Nicole-Mercy is cosplaying as Omega Flowey from Undertale. “I enjoyed cosplaying as Omega Flowey because he’s such an evil, but memorable character,” Nicole-Mercy said. “Almost everyone reacts to him with fear and shock when they first see him, because it’s so different from the rest of Undertale. I wanted to recreate those feelings by cosplaying as him, and I was really happy I was able to pull it off, and how much everyone enjoyed it.”

Jace Nicole-Mercy is cosplaying as Omega Flowey from Undertale.

“I enjoyed cosplaying as Omega Flowey because he’s such an evil, but memorable character,” Nicole-Mercy said. “Almost everyone reacts to him with fear and shock when they first see him, because it’s so different from the rest of Undertale. I wanted to recreate those feelings by cosplaying as him, and I was really happy I was able to pull it off, and how much everyone enjoyed it.”

Andrew Miller is cosplaying as Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. “I like cosplaying Ed because FMA Brotherhood was the first anime I watched and cosplaying Ed lets me show off what I can make,” Miller said.

Andrew Miller is cosplaying as Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

“I like cosplaying Ed because FMA Brotherhood was the first anime I watched and cosplaying Ed lets me show off what I can make,” Miller said.

Nisa Sharp is cosplaying as Honoka from Love Live. “I love cosplaying the hopeless cinnamon bun because she’s so energetic and positive!” Sharp said. “If there’s one thing that the cosplay community needs more of, it’s positivity!”

Nisa Sharp is cosplaying as Honoka from Love Live.

“I love cosplaying the hopeless cinnamon bun because she’s so energetic and positive!” Sharp said. “If there’s one thing that the cosplay community needs more of, it’s positivity!”

Marissa McWhirt, top row, third from the left, is cosplaying as Mettaton from Undertale. “What I enjoy most about being Mettaton is that I feel confident,” McWhirt said. “A lot of people relate him to being approachable, which is what I hoped for in cosplaying this character. I had a lot of people come up to me and start a conversation with me more while I was in this costume than any of my others. I like cosplaying him for the fun situations that people ask of me and see them smile and enjoy how I portray this character. He's flamboyant, he's fabulous, he's everyone's idol! Being this kind of character really breaks me out of my usually shy shell, and that's probably what I love most about it.”

Marissa McWhirt, top row, third from the left, is cosplaying as Mettaton from Undertale.

“What I enjoy most about being Mettaton is that I feel confident,” McWhirt said. “A lot of people relate him to being approachable, which is what I hoped for in cosplaying this character. I had a lot of people come up to me and start a conversation with me more while I was in this costume than any of my others. I like cosplaying him for the fun situations that people ask of me and see them smile and enjoy how I portray this character. He's flamboyant, he's fabulous, he's everyone's idol! Being this kind of character really breaks me out of my usually shy shell, and that's probably what I love most about it.”

Miles Griffin, bottom right, is cosplaying as Frisk from Undertale

Miles Griffin, bottom right, is cosplaying as Frisk from Undertale.

“The thing I enjoy most about cosplay in Frisk is that there are multiple sides to them,” Griffin said. “They can be peaceful one second and the next completely switch to a different personality. They are also a very cute character to portray.”

Stephanie Goeppner is cosplaying as Roxas from Kingdom Hearts.

"Aside from just having fun cosplaying as one of my favorite characters from the series, I love all the comments I get when wearing that wig, because it just looks so ridiculous!" Goeppner said. "I kept mock-stabbing my boyfriend with the spikes, and we kept joking that I could probably seriously injure someone with them because they were so pointy."

Elias Mitchell is cosplaying as Levi from Attack on Titan.

"I enjoy cosplaying Levi because I heavily relate to the character," Mitchell said, "and acting as him feels like an extension of myself. It feels very natural to be him, and makes my cosplay experience feel more personal in my opinion. It also is so much fun to joke around in character with those around me!"