Activision experiences layoffs

GameInformer reported that it was “tipped off” at some changes over at Activision regarding staffing, with reason to believe that the area affected is the Minneapolis, Minnesota location.

Activision confirmed that layoffs had taken place, “As announced on our earnings call, our games for core audiences did extremely well, but the casual audience has not yet emerged on the next gen consoles,” an Activision spokesperson told GameInformer. “So we are refocusing to better align with Activision’s long-term priorities because, as always, our strategy evolves to keep us ahead of a rapidly-changing industry. We are working with those impacted by the changes to offer outplacement services and support.”

The casual audience and their respective games in question are the Guitar Hero franchise and Skylanders, both of which Activision reported under-performed the past year. Guitar Hero is also being altered to be strictly service-based for the 2016 year, with no new boxed title being released. Activision is also scaling back its licensed game business, which was handled out of Minneapolis.

GameInformer claims the tipoff came from a significant other of an Activision employee, but cannot confirm nor deny the status of the Minneapolis office. GameInformer also noted that Activision hasn’t denied or corrected any information on the layoffs.

-----

Source: GameInformer

Image: Wii U Daily