TAMING OF THE SHREW: New Young Adult novel mixes romance with sci-fi

Bailey Shrewsbury is a freshman journalism major and writes "Taming of the Shrew" for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Bailey at bbshrewsbury@bsu.edu.

In “The Love That Split the World,” which comes out tomorrow, history and magic combine to create the most stunning Young Adult fiction debut of 2016. Emily Henry introduces Natalie, a girl fresh out of high school with a task; she has three months to save a boy. But who is he and how is she supposed to save someone she doesn’t know?

Natalie has always been visited by a being she has named "Grandma," who weaves her stories from the past. But when Grandma disappears for good, leaving her with only a mission, what is Natalie to do?

Bailey Shrewsbury

From the moment Grandma leaves, Natalie is plagued with strange glimmers of wrong, things in her town that shouldn’t be. But it also brings her Beau, a mysterious boy that she can’t get out of her head.

Natalie is a girl many can relate to. Her family is a familiar yet unique one: younger siblings she is jealous of at times, a silent father and a somewhat overbearing mother. She went through all the motions in high school, doing things she thought she was supposed to do before she snapped and quit everything. She’s a very real character who brings both familiar and unfamiliar struggles to the table.

She struggles with her identity, her adoption and the magic suddenly all around her. Natalie isn’t your typical damsel in distress nor is she a bland character found in seemingly every book on the market. She also struggles with the responsibility the magic brings her. Why is she the only one who can see the wrongness of the town? How is she supposed to save the boy and get to the bottom of the glimmers?

“The Love That Split the World” has nuances of many contemporary young adult books, like falling in love and trying to overcome the problems that challenge the love. It isn’t quite contemporary but it isn’t sci-fi either. The best category I’ve found to describe this gem of a debut is magical realism.

Henry’s use of historical tales, familiar Kentucky background and unique magic bring the story a new twist. Her writing is refreshing, filled with plenty of humor we can relate to and a swoon-worthy and unique romance. This book is perfect for anyone wanting to reminisce about high school, first loves or just wants a pick-me-up. If I could give this book a million stars I would, but unfortunately it can only receive 5/5.