Sales Career Fair good networking opportunity, upperclassmen say

<p>The Sales Career Fair is Jan. 25 in the Ball State Alumni Center.&nbsp;<em>DN PHOTO MICHELLE KAUFMAN&nbsp;</em></p>

The Sales Career Fair is Jan. 25 in the Ball State Alumni Center. DN PHOTO MICHELLE KAUFMAN 

The H.H. Gregg Center for Professional Selling will bring 84 companies together in the Alumni Center on Jan. 25 for the 20th annual Sales Career Fair.

Scott Inks, director of the center, said full-time and internship opportunities will be available at the fair.

He advised attendees to dress professionally, bring their résumé and prepare to ask the recruiters questions.

“Go up to companies that you’ve never heard of and talk to people," Inks said. "That’s the best thing people can do — get used to going up to a company or meeting somebody you don’t know, introducing yourself and talking to them."

Michele Bartlett, the outreach coordinator for the Center, coordinates everything from promotion and marketing, to getting the companies to come. 

Bartlett said she wants to give students the opportunity to intern or work “with not just any company, but great companies,” and a company that they are proud of.

“[The fair] is important because our students are important and that’s my drive,” Bartlett said. “With those companies [coming], they’ll really build a résumé by being there, so when they do decide to move on, they have a great foundation. If a student has at least one internship or interview opportunity or full-time opportunity from the Sales Career Fair, then it’s a success.”

Bartlett said she remembers being the same age as the students and the challenge of finding a good job. Having an internship is a good way for students to “test drive” the opportunities available at a company before committing.

“I encourage all students to come to this because we have such a great variety of industries, and most students don’t realize how they can enter into the field that they want through the companies that are at the Sales Career Fair,” she said. “They can build their résumé with the experience necessary to achieve their dream job.”

Nathan Vander Zanden, a senior professional selling major, has attended four Sales Career Fairs and encouraged underclassmen to go to get to know recruiters and figure out how to interact at a career fair.

“It’s a great opportunity because recruiters and the professors that are there are very friendly and open to interacting with you and critiquing résumés and talking about goals,” he said. “If you’re a senior and you don’t know how to talk to people, no one is going to offer you a job.”

Senior professional selling major Nicole Murdoch attended her first Sales Career Fair last year and was surprised the companies were “intrigued” with talking to her while she was also interested in talking to them.

“They want to get to know you, they want to know where you’re going and what you’re doing and they want to offer you jobs,” Murdoch said. “The skills that you learn from a career fair are going to be beneficial and you’re only going to improve upon them the more career fairs that you go to and the more comfortable you get talking to recruiters or anyone in general. I wish I could have gone my freshman and sophomore year.”