One year after data breach, Ball State discusses safety measures

<p>Ball State is looking into safe practice for handling employee and student personal identifiable information (PII) due to the Anthem Inc. data breach last year. President Paul W. Ferguson attended the University Senate meeting Thursday to show support. <em>DN PHOTO REBECCA KIZER</em></p>

Ball State is looking into safe practice for handling employee and student personal identifiable information (PII) due to the Anthem Inc. data breach last year. President Paul W. Ferguson attended the University Senate meeting Thursday to show support. DN PHOTO REBECCA KIZER

Ball State is investigating safe practices for handling employee and student personal identifiable information (PII) after an Anthem Inc. data breach last year caused at least 140 Ball State employees to experience identify theft and income tax fraud.

Loren Malm, Ball State's interim vice president of information technology, defined PII as any nonpublic information that uniquely identifies a single individual, such as social security numbers. This employee information is sometimes shared to different vendors by the university for various reasons.

These reasons may be because PII is mandatory for the vendors to do their jobs, Malm said. Insurance companies, such as Anthem, need employees’ personal information for identification purposes.

The topic of handling this personal data was discussed at the University Senate meeting on Jan. 21. President Paul W. Ferguson attended the meeting to show his support, while Malm and Bernie Hannon, vice president of business affairs, discussed what precautions should be taken when it comes to sharing PII.

Ferguson said while he recognizes that safety against tax fraud and identity theft is a big issue both locally and globally, he believes Ball State is working to prevent employee and student PII from being leaked.

"The university is committed to promoting and ensuring faculty safety of their data," Ferguson said. "And I think Ball State is doing everything it can to be on the cutting edge of this issue."

In order for employees to protect themselves, Hannon said he recommends watching for signs of tax refund fraud and filing for taxes as soon as possible. Two warning signs are receiving debit cards in the mail unexpectedly or having tax returns rejected.

The university offers assistance for students or staff who are experiencing tax fraud or identify theft.

While these tips can help, when a data breach affects a company, there's often nothing that could have been done to prevent it, Hannon said. The issue is a part of a larger, national problem.

Malm said he predicts that throughout the next few years, the national problem of identity theft will improve because of changes in types of PII. Because social security numbers are becoming more prevalent and easier to access, over time other factors and additional controls and personal identifiers will come into place, he said.

"Social security numbers were intended to be an identifier, not an instrument for identify theft," Malm said.

Ferguson said identity theft is still a relevant and prevalent problem. He said the university has "tried to respond quickly and effectively" since the initial problems nearly one year ago.