Active Minds aims to relieve pre-finals stress

<p>Active Minds is hosting their second annual Stress Less Week from December 7 to 11. The campaign is working to highlight social and emotional benefits of laughter and how to incorporate it into your daily life.<em>&nbsp;</em><em>PHOTO PROVIDED BY ACTIVE MINDS</em></p>

Active Minds is hosting their second annual Stress Less Week from December 7 to 11. The campaign is working to highlight social and emotional benefits of laughter and how to incorporate it into your daily life. PHOTO PROVIDED BY ACTIVE MINDS

From Dec. 7-11, Active Minds is hosting its second annual Stress Less Week, an awareness campaign where students can participate in stress-relief activities to relieve anxiety about final exams and the end of the semester.

The theme of Stress Less Week is “Laugh More.” The campaign highlights the social and emotional benefits of laughter and how to incorporate more laughter into daily life. The activities are aimed to relieve pre-finals stress while reducing the stigma around mental health disorders.

Jake Griffin, the founder of Ball State's Active Minds chapter, said there are multiple things that can affect a person's mental health.

"As a student, you may experience a range of issues that can cause barriers to learning, such as strained relationships, increased anxiety, alcohol/drug problems, feeling down, difficulty concentrating and/or lack of motivation," Griffin said. "These mental health concerns or stressful events may lead to diminished academic performance and may reduce your ability to participate in daily activities. Active Minds was founded to share the resources that are available to assist you."

Remaining schedule for Stress Less Week:

Dec. 8

• Stress balls will be in the Atrium from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Dec. 9

• Stress ball will be in the Atrium from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
  • Yoga with Samantha Gasinski in Botsford/Swinford in Johnson Complex at 9:30 p.m.

Dec. 10

• Keenan Henderson and Paul Whitacre will perform their comedy and music shows, respectively, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Ballroom. 

Anyone can get involved and join the #StigmaFighters movement promoted in Stress Less Week by logging onto the BennyLink Active Minds profile or visiting AMBSU.org.