Kettle corn fundraiser helps benefit kids at Luminaria Walk

<p>Ashton Pauley, 12, stirs kettle corn in a big pot at the Minnetrista Enchanted Luminaria Walk on Dec. 4. Ashton was helping his great uncle and grandpa out at the event to raise money&nbsp;to buy children with disabilities tricycles. <em>DN PHOTO MICHELLE KAUFMAN</em></p>

Ashton Pauley, 12, stirs kettle corn in a big pot at the Minnetrista Enchanted Luminaria Walk on Dec. 4. Ashton was helping his great uncle and grandpa out at the event to raise money to buy children with disabilities tricycles. DN PHOTO MICHELLE KAUFMAN

The Enchanted Luminaria Walk at Minnetrista wasn't all pretty lights and magic. 

In addition to the mansion tours and carriage rides at the walk, the Muncie chapter of AMBUCS made kettle corn to raise money to buy children with disabilities tricycles to fit their needs.

John Persinger, president of RAC Trykes (the Muncie chapter of AMBUCS), has been popping the corn “how they used do it back in the old days” for the past four years at Minnetrista and for a decade at the Delaware County fairgrounds. 

After the oil heated, the sugar was caramelized and the kernels were added to the 55 gallon kettle. A total of 100 pounds of corn were sold on the first night of the walk. 

Check out our gallery from the Enchanted Luminaria Walk.

Persinger said he enjoys being around everybody and seeing kids’ curiosity at the process.

“Kids love to come up and see how it’s done," Persinger said. "They want to try it, and then they come up and try it and find out it's kinda hard to do. That’s the best part about it."

RAC Trykes works with occupational and physical therapists to provide the tricycles to children. Tricycles can range from $300-900, so if the family is unable to pay, it will be given for free. 

The chapter has given away 30 tricycles so far in the three years it has been a group. It will give away four more on Dec. 11. 

Past recipients include a child who had a kidney transplant who was able to ride a tricycle around Riley Hospital for Children and a girl who was able to ride a bike with her brother and sister for the first time thanks to her new tricycle.

“I’ve seen every single one given away, and it’s overwhelming sometimes," Persinger said. "I admit it, I’m a man but I cry sometimes because some of these kids have never been on a bike at all, and it’s very heartwarming to be able to see a child ride away for the very first time."

All of the money given to RAC Trykes goes directly to the kids, Persinger said. All operation costs come out of chapter members' pockets.

“Every single penny goes to these kids,” Persinger said. “I can’t look at a kid and say, 'Hey, I’m sorry we can’t give you a tryke because we wanna go someplace.' That will never happen in our organization.”

Persinger’s nephews, Dakota and Ashton Pauley, 10 and 12, respectively, come every year with him. Ashton helped stir the oil and sugar and said it was “hard but worth it when you get to eat it after.”

"I love to see it be made," Ashton said. 

“They have fun running around, seeing all the sights plus helping with the corn," Jeff Persinger, John's brother, said. "Eating the corn is my favorite part."

Mike and Dee Chambers have known John for 30 years and got started with kettle corn 25 years ago at Farm Fest, an annual event for fourth graders. 

During that event, 300 pounds of kettle corn were popped. The Persingers also help with Farm Fest, so the Chambers try to help fundraise for the tricycles at the walk.

“We don’t make any money and started giving [RAC Trykes] the profits last year and raised $600,” Mike said. “We just do it because we like to do it.”