BSU Relaxes looks to de-stress college students

<p>BSU Relaxes is a campaign that helps&nbsp;college students manage their stress. The group is hosting various events this week.&nbsp;<em style="background-color: initial;">PHOTO COURTESY OF BSU RELAXES&nbsp;FACEBOOK</em></p>

BSU Relaxes is a campaign that helps college students manage their stress. The group is hosting various events this week. PHOTO COURTESY OF BSU RELAXES FACEBOOK

What: BSU Relaxes: Relax with us
When: 6 p.m. on Dec. 3
Where: In front of Refresh, 312 E Main St.

Four graduate students are trying to take some of the stress out of the lives of college students, through crafts, activities and information on stress management. 

BSU Relaxes is a campaign aimed at alleviating college students’ stress. Its creators are students of the Emerging Media Design and Development program, and their next event is Dec. 3 at 6 p.m.

One student on the BSU Relaxes team, Briee Eikenberry, is in charge of marketing and audience promotion for the campaign. She said their campaign isn't based on just giving out resources to help with stress, but also on making the process fun.

"We just want to make people smile," Eikenberry said. "Help get their minds off of the final weeks of school."

Eikenberry said her team will be helping attendees at the next event design their own greeting cards for their family or friends. She said she thinks this activity will help reduce stress that comes with this time of year.

This event is "kind of a trial," said Eikenberry, for BSU Relaxes' later events coming up. According to their campaign's website, they will be hosting more activities in Bracken Library on Dec. 4 and in the Atrium on Dec. 7.

With all their events, Eikenberry said their goal is to put "the idea of relaxation" into students’ heads. She said her team's research showed that currently, the stress levels of college students ages 18 to 24 are very high and they don't tend to deal with their stress in healthy ways. The BSU Relaxes team wants to work to change this.

"BSU Relaxes is just trying to teach healthier ways of relaxation," she said. "But not totally be just educational. Adding a fun activity to it."

The event taking place Dec. 3 will be in front of Refresh on Main Street. It will take place concurrently with other events downtown, including Holiday First Thursday, Light Up DWNTWN and YART.

While they aren't sure how many students will attend, Eikenberry said they chose the day and the downtown location because of the other events taking place at the same time, hoping it will prompt students to come.

According to Downtown Muncie's website, First Thursday will feature shopping and art galleries, Light Up DWNTWN will be the city's tree lighting ceremony and YART will be a yard sale of art, with more than 40 vendors. There will also be ice carving, ice-skating and concessions.