'Super Smash Bros. Brawl' mod 'Project M' discontinued

The team behind Project M, a popular modification to the popular fighting game Super Smash Bros. Brawl, has officially discontinued its new updates. This version of the game was designed to ‘fix’ some of the mistakes that the community felt that Brawl made by taking out elements of Melee (the previous iteration of the series) and replacing them with newer systems that the game runs on.

The creators of the game said in a post on their site that the experience has positively impacted them, but that they’re moving on to some grander upcoming project:

“We’ve learned so much in the process of making Project M—accumulating life-changing lessons in communication, team work, professionalism, work ethic, and more—but there’s only so far we can take those skills in a volunteer project. With this in mind, we’ve made a difficult business decision: We’re ready to finish development here and move on to bigger and better ventures.”

The game mod had been running for six years, and had been one of the few Nintendo fan spin-offs that had little-to-no legal problems. They’ve had around three million downloads of the mod in total, but have been careful to avoid problems with the newest Smash Bros. game, such as reverse-porting characters from Wii U/3DS version to Project M so that there was no illusion of competition between the two games.

The mod takes a slight bit of messing with the Wii console for it to be played, but is unfortunately no longer officially available from their website. For now, there is still little information on why the team has disbanded, other than the post on their site.

-----

Sources: Kotaku, Gamespot, GameRant, Project M

Images: Kotaku