BERG'S EYE VIEW: No shame in being a One Direction fan

Niall Horan, Harry Styles, Liam Payne and Louis Tomlinson of One Direction perform on stage during Capital FM's Summertime Ball at Wembley Stadium in London on June 6, 2015. (Yui Mok/PA Photos/Abaca Press/TNS)

Kara Berg is a junior journalism news and telecommunications major and writes "Berg's Eye View" for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Kara at knberg2@bsu.edu.

Every time I say I like One Direction, I get the same reaction. People turn their noses up or raise their eyebrows at me.

I’ve lost track of the amount of times I’ve heard, “Aren’t you a little old to like One Direction?”

It comes from friends, colleagues, professors and even just casual acquaintances. 

Lately, I’ve gotten rid of any shame I have surrounding my love of the band and have started flaunting it. And it feels great.

Just like anyone else with their favorite band, I want to be able to talk about my favorite songs and put it on in the car without everyone groaning.

I’m not ashamed to admit that whenever I hear “One Direction” out in public, my head immediately turns. It’s just an instinct I have from being a fan of the band for three years.

Their newest album, “Made In The A.M.,” which came out on Friday was given 4 stars by Rolling Stone — the same score Taylor Swift’s “1989” and Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” got.

If you’re still basing your opinion of One Direction off of “What Makes You Beautiful” from 2011, I suggest you go listen to “Made In The A.M.”

You don’t have to love every artist you listen to –  you don’t even have to like them. But don’t immediately discount fans of One Direction just because you think they’re a childish boy band. Yes, their fan base is a lot of teenage girls. But that doesn’t make them any less of a band.

Kara Berg

I’ve gone to four concerts — I know exactly how many kids are there. A lot. But that doesn’t stop me from going and hanging out with those kids during the concerts, because we both are there to see someone we love.

The band is popular for a reason, and they didn’t sell out two stadium tours with more than 150 dates by just being attractive. They make good music and have dedicated fans.

So leave me alone to listen to “Made In The A.M.” on repeat for the next two months, and don’t roll your eyes when I crank up the volume when it comes on in the car.