Student pinned under pickup, under observation in ICU

<p>The intersection of Ashland Avenue and Martin Street are blocked off by yellow tape and police cars after a&nbsp;pedestrian was hit this morning near the McKinley Avenue Parking Garage. The pedestrian was taken to the hospital and his status is unknown at this time,&nbsp;according to Muncie Police. <em>DN PHOTO KARA BERG</em></p>

The intersection of Ashland Avenue and Martin Street are blocked off by yellow tape and police cars after a pedestrian was hit this morning near the McKinley Avenue Parking Garage. The pedestrian was taken to the hospital and his status is unknown at this time, according to Muncie Police. DN PHOTO KARA BERG

A student and daughter of a Ball State professor was hit by a car Nov. 3 as she was walking near the McKinley Avenue Parking Garage. 

Sarah Swingley, a senior telecommunications major, was standing on the Northeast corner of the intersection of Martin Street and Ashland Avenue waiting to cross when she was hit by a student driving a pickup truck, said her father, Rich Swingley, a telecommunications professor. 

The driver told Muncie Police Department that he didn't see Sarah. The driver hit her and pinned her under the pickup truck. He stopped after hearing her screams and stopped to help her, as did multiple other students. 

Sarah has multiple internal injuries, including broken ribs, a lacerated liver and a small puncture to her lung, Rich said. She had surgery to stop the bleeding in her liver and is now in the Intensive Care Unit under observation at Indiana University Health Ball Memorial Hospital. 

Rich said there isn't any prediction for her recovery time, or the time she will be hospitalized. 

Earlier:

A pedestrian was hit this morning near the McKinley Avenue Parking Garage, Muncie police said. 

Lt. Seth Stanley said the person was taken to the hospital. 

The intersection of Ashland Avenue and Martin Street is blocked off by yellow tape and police vehicles as a precaution while MPD determines what happened, Stanley said. 

The medical status of the pedestrian is unknown at this time.