Spelling Bee draws 9 participants

<p>Nine students met in the lobby of DeHority Complex for a spelling bee on a college campus. Cash prizes were offered to the first, second and third place winners, awarded at $100, $50 and $25. <em>DN PHOTO MICHELLE KAUFMAN</em></p>

Nine students met in the lobby of DeHority Complex for a spelling bee on a college campus. Cash prizes were offered to the first, second and third place winners, awarded at $100, $50 and $25. DN PHOTO MICHELLE KAUFMAN

The lobby of DeHority Complex was host to a spelling bee, something not usual to the college campus. 

The bee, which was Nov. 17, was sponsored by Golden Key International Honour Society and the Student Honors Council. Nine people from the two organizations participated.

After rules were established, Golden Key adviser David Largent served as reader of the words. The first, second and third place winners were awarded $100, $50 and $25.

Alyssa Larsen, a sophomore social studies education major and member of Golden Key and Student Honors Council, won with the word “glockenspiel.” She called her participation in the spelling bee a “shot in the dark” and that winning was “surprising.”

“I haven’t participated in a spelling bee in a very long time… I didn’t plan on participating [today] because I had another meeting but sometimes lucky things happen,” Larsen said. “I know nothing about glockenspiels. It’s an instrument that I know now but I have no idea what it is nor have I ever heard one.”

Maren Orchard, a sophomore public history major, is a member of Student Honors Council and came to support her friends. Orchard didn’t participate herself in the bee because of “a fear of spelling deeply rooted from my own spelling bee days in elementary school.”

“I thought the turnout was really good and there were strong spellers and the people who participated had a good time,” Orchard said.

Sophomore biochemistry and pre-med Joe Hannon, who is also the vice president of Student Honors Council chose to participate in the spelling bee to redeem himself from misspelling “parallel” in a fourth grade spelling bee.

“I wanted to participate because I thought I would challenge myself and step out of my comfort zone a little bit,” Hannon said. “It went pretty well, I was a little disappointed that I misspelled giraffe, but hopefully I’ll be able to participate in future years and redeem myself again.”