Entrepreneurial learning positive addition to Ball State, alumni say

<p><em>DN PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER</em></p>

DN PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER

With Ball State’s push to become an entrepreneurial learning university, three entrepreneurship alumni commented on the importance of having a cross-function learning platform for the real world.

Rochelle Waxton, '11 — CEO of Advocate Entertainment

“I’ve been talking to a lot of people who have majored in different things who, after they got degrees ... didn’t have tools to start [their] own practices. Being able to add [a] business aspect in different majors is definitely a good thing,” Waxton said. “After you graduate, it’s not like a bunch of jobs waiting for you. Entrepreneurship gives students a better chance to succeed and do their own thing.”

Matt Prasek, '15 — Co-Founder of Safekeeping

“I think it’s really great. [Ball State is] one of the first universities to claim they are an entrepreneurial university. I think a lot of things are focused on entrepreneurial now in today’s age,” Prasek said. “Everything is changing with technology and many young college graduates have to be entrepreneurial themselves, whether they're pursuing their own start-up or if they choose the route adapting with technology. I think it's really cool that BSU is doing this. I think it brings a lot more value to alumni ... and students there.”

Noah Rahimzadeh, '15 — Co-Founder of Safekeeping

“I think that’s awesome. We talked to Dr. [Mike] Goldsby and Dr. Mathews about getting cross functions in departments,” Rahimzadeh said. “If music students want to team up with entrepreneurial students, I think that’s an incredible idea. In that scenario especially, you’re gonna have two different mind-sets and visions, especially when you talk about the artistic world. Everything entrepreneurial, you have to differentiate yourself and have different minds come together, and how to differentiate and find [your] place in the market is really important.”