International Games Day event open to all

<p>Ball State hosts its third annual International Games Day on&nbsp;Nov. 14 from 1 to 5 p.m.&nbsp;at Bracken Library. <em style="background-color: initial;">DN FILE PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER</em></p>

Ball State hosts its third annual International Games Day on Nov. 14 from 1 to 5 p.m. at Bracken Library. DN FILE PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER

What: International Games Day

When: 1-5 p.m., Nov. 14

Where: Bracken Library 

When Joseph Roberts hosts a gaming event at Bracken Library, which he does a couple times throughout the year, he likes the variety of people who attend.

It’s not just students who come—graduate assistants and faculty members show, too.

Roberts, an information services librarian, hopes to see the same mix of people on Nov. 14 when Ball State hosts its third annual International Games Day event at Bracken Library.

The event takes place from 1 to 5 p.m. and will include a Settlers of Catan tournament, euchre and open table-top games ranging from modern games to familiar classics.

Jenny Levine and Scott Nicholson, who work in the library and gaming fields, respectively, teamed up in 2008 to create International Games Day, which started as National Games Day.

The event has become a way to bring people together. 

“Libraries are the last safe, non-commercialized spaces that are truly open to everyone—regardless of age, race, class, level of school—everyone,” Levine said. “And the great thing about games in the library is that they bring diverse groups of people together in ways that don’t happen anywhere else in the community.”

International Games Day is in its seventh year and currently includes events on all seven continents with over 100,000 confirmed participants and 11 sponsors from various gaming companies including Hasbro and Konami’s Yu-Gi-Oh card game, according to the International Games Day website.

Roberts, the Bracken Library employee, first heard about International Games Day as a graduate assistant. He assisted another librarian with presenting the idea of a game day to the University of Illinois’s undergraduate library.

It wasn’t until Roberts began working for Ball State that he thought of bringing it to the campus.

“I saw that there was a big community of gamers on campus: gamers of all sorts, so I thought that maybe we could find an audience for this event,” he said.

Roberts said he hopes the event will strengthen connections between students and library staff, as well as other campus organizations.

Students are encouraged to bring their own game from their own collection to add to the diversity of the event, he said.