Alumni to speak about having successful double-job marriage

Being a working couple can be difficult, especially when kids are thrown into the mix. 

To make it work, there has to be communication and an ability to share duties, students and a sociology professor said. 

Married couple Dan and Dani Wasson will share what works for them at an open discussion hosted by Women in Business. The discussion will take place on Nov. 11 at 5 p.m. in Whitinger Business Building Room 144. 

The Wassons graduated from Ball State, Dan in 2003 with a degree in business administration and Dani in 2008 with a degree in marketing and sales. Dani said Women in Business, a student organization in the Miller College of Business, asked her to speak. 

“I’ve spoken for them before on mentorship and employability," she said. "But this time, we were asked to do it together. This isn’t really Dan’s repertoire, so I think he’s doing it just to support me."

The couple has been married for six years and has gained some wisdom in that time. 

“We have a 3-year-old and an 11-month-old, and it definitely makes us more connected, because now we’re connected beyond our decision to be together," Dani said. "But at the same time, having kids brings its own set of challenges. Now we’re supporting a whole separate life."

Sociology professor Rachel Kraus said working couples can keep their relationship healthy by sharing.

“They basically need to share at home," Kraus said. "[Couples] need to be supportive of each other, but the quick and dirty [tip] is they need to share household responsibilities. Studies say that relationships are happier and healthier when they both are involved with what is done around the home."

That is not the answer students came up with, which tended to have to do with communication. 

“Definitely communication, for sure, [is needed to keep a healthy relationship for working couples]," said senior pre-veterinary science major Amanda Broeder. "But both parties need to actually try to put in an effort toward making their relationship work."

However, Dani may agree with Broeder. 

“What helps me — helps us — is knowing there isn’t a specific thing or trick to making a marriage work," Dani said. "We both have to know it’s important, and we both have to focus on what needs to be worked on, which changes constantly."