Ball State 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' bigger than ever

<p>Students performing in the Rocky Horror Picture Show will be performing on Oct. 31 at 11 p.m. at Emens Auditorium. Doors open at 10 p.m. <em>DN PHOTO REAGAN ALLEN</em></p>

Students performing in the Rocky Horror Picture Show will be performing on Oct. 31 at 11 p.m. at Emens Auditorium. Doors open at 10 p.m. DN PHOTO REAGAN ALLEN

What: Rocky Horror Picture Show

When: Saturday, Oct. 31; Doors open at 10 p.m., show starts at midnight

Where: John R. Emens Auditorium

The costumes are bolder, the dance moves wilder and the levels of excitement higher at this year's dress rehearsals for Ball State’s shadow cast performance of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.”

Practices began early in the semester for the show, which will take place at midnight on Oct. 31 in John R. Emens Auditorium. The doors open at 10 p.m.

The cast has a good reason for their energy. This show is different than any they have put on before, said Olivia Germann, the show’s director.

“We’re making it feel more like a Broadway show. This year we’re really pushing the envelope of the performance,” she said. “It’s going to be a little different than what people have seen the last five years, but I hope that everyone likes it.”

Germann is the driving force behind this year’s performance, but she has a strong group of six executive board members to back her up and handle everything from costumes to social media.

The show has been a labor of love for all involved. Auditions were held at the end of the 2015 Spring Semester, and practice began on the second day of school. Since then, the cast has met two days a week to perfect their portrayal of the cult classic.

The show has also experienced some challenges. Their final performance is at Emens, but by Oct. 27, they had only practiced in the space once.

“It is challenging, but it’s unrealistic to expect any more in a space like Emens that is so busy,” Germann said.

Rocky Horror shadow casts mimic the movie during showings. The performers dress up and dance as if they were the actual characters, all while silently mouthing the dialogue and lyrics.

Ball State’s cast tries to stay as close as possible to the original movie, but adds their own unique flair.

“In the shadow cast community, there’s a lot of emphasis placed on movie replica that is exactly perfect, and while we would love to do that, we’re a student organization running on limited funds, so a lot of times we have to get creative with it,” Germann said.

When they can’t find the right prop, for example, they use something outlandish to enhance the show.

All the prep has been worth it for a cast who has found a creative outlet, as well as a safe place, in the shadow cast.

“I love Rocky Horror because we can be as open as we want. It’s kind of a sexualized show, so you can be sexualized and do whatever you want without being shamed for it — you can be yourself,” said Sarah Werley, a sophomore member of the cast.

The show, and Ball State’s shadow cast, both have ties to the LGBTQ community, Germann said.

“The show is a really interesting insight into the queer community and for those who are in the community. It really creates a nice, safe place for people who are queer,” she said.

Germann’s advice to those coming for the first time is to simply enjoy the ride.

“It’s an experience you will never forget — you can support live theatre, have fun on Halloween and you’ll never forget it.”