Red Cross Cardinals work to connect Ball State, Muncie through outreach programs

<p>Red Cross Cardinals is the Ball State chapter of the American Red Cross. The group works to bridge to gap between campus and the community, and host community outreach programs. <em>PHOTO PROVIDED BY DANIELLE FRANKO</em></p>

Red Cross Cardinals is the Ball State chapter of the American Red Cross. The group works to bridge to gap between campus and the community, and host community outreach programs. PHOTO PROVIDED BY DANIELLE FRANKO

A new group on campus, a subunit of the local Red Cross chapter, is one of the first of its kind according to its president.

The Red Cross Cardinals (RCC) is working to connect students with the community through activities and programs. Founder and President Marina Carini, a senior health science major, formed the group after volunteering with the Muncie Red Cross.

“When I started volunteering at the Red Cross, I saw a lot of opportunity for students and a lot of need in community,” Carini said. “[Red Cross Cardinals] creates a bridge between students and the community.”

The Red Cross Cardinals hosts student-led community outreach programs. They also have emergency and disaster student responders. Students who become members of RCC and fill out the proper paperwork are considered official volunteers of the Red Cross.

The American Red Cross has chapters all over the United States, which help support people in need. They work in areas of natural disasters, organize blood drives and provide health and safety training. The Red Cross has no formal college groups, making RCC one of the first of its kind.

The RCC was approved as an on-campus group at the end of last school year, and the executive board spent the summer planning what activities and events they would put on.

One program starting this week is basic aid training (B.A.T). RCC members will go to local elementary schools and educate students on subjects such as germs and basic first aid. While this program began at the Red Cross, the RCC expanded upon the program and made it their own. Another community outreach program the group has planned is the Fire Campaign, which supplies homes in Delaware County with fire alarms. 

For the members of RCC, the benefits of community service go far beyond resume building. Vice President Austin Tatum, a sophomore psychology major, said he’s been able to connect more to Muncie through his work with RCC.

“RCC offers the opportunity to help others. You can extend out from just campus to the community, get to know the community,” Tatum said. “I really like helping people out, learning new things and opening my eyes to the world.”

Danielle Franko, a senior public relations major and public relations director for RCC, said the organization has given her an outlet to help people and be involved.

“It’s hard to find places to productively spend your time in college. RCC opened a lot of doors for me. You help the community … meet new people,” Franko said.

Franko also added that there are opportunities for students of all majors.

“There’s technical community outreach, design, disaster relief, everything. Anyone can get involved with what they want to do,” Franko said. “Not only are you helping the community, it’s helping you back."