Fashion for a cause

DN PHOTO EMMA ROGERS
DN PHOTO EMMA ROGERS

Four student designers showcased their pieces during Alpha Phi Omega’s annual Pretty in Pink Fashion show.

All proceeds from the show were donated to the Little Red Door for breast cancer services.

Students, family and other guests came out to watch designers show off their own, unique clothing designs. There were three segments to the show: Express Yourself, Freestyle and Pinkprint.

The first segment introduced the designers to the audience and showcased their main work. The second segment showcased designs that would be considered fashionable to them on a daily basis. The third segment of the show was dedicated to survivors and those who lost their lives to breast cancer.

Each design had any form of pink with it, whether it was the main focus of the piece or an accessory to it, for instance a scarf, bowtie or flower on a hat.

For designer Kambria Johnson, one of her favorite parts of the show was being able to give the donations toward breast cancer.

“I’ve done the fashion show before, so it’s kind of an annual thing for me," Johnson said. "I’ve always liked to do the charitable events. It is something that is very serious within the female community.”

Another reason may be personal. Designer Ali Robbins' mother is a breast cancer survivor. The inspiration for her looks was based on watching her mother go through treatments and surgeries. She wants to create comfortable wear for cancer patients.

“I was looking to make garments that would be geared more towards lounge wear but also things that would be very attractive and pretty,” Robbins said. “I’m thinking about things that cancer patients could wear that would be comfortable to wear around the house, but still they feel presentable … they wouldn’t feel like they have to run and get dressed and exert more energy than they need to. They can just feel comfortable in their own skin.”

This story is a part of the upcoming fashion blog. Stay tuned for more stories.