International students, faculty discuss coming to America

Ball State students and faculty share their stories about coming to the U.S. on Oct. 8 at Pruis Hall DN PHOTO BROOK HAYNES

Students should be aware of the stereotypes and challenges their international peers face, said the Assistant Director of Freshman Connections Peg Shaffer.

Shaffer put together a panel of seven international faculty and students to share their stories of coming to America, the cultural differences they face and the transitions they went through. They took the stage in Pruis Hall Oct. 8 for the event "Stories from Home," and each shared their personal experiences.

Shaffer wanted to continue the discussion started by this year's freshman reader, "Funny in Farsi." Written by Firoozeh Dumas, the memoir tells the story of the author’s experience growing up in America as an Iranian immigrant.

All panelists agreed that students shouldn't be afraid to ask questions and be curious about people from different cultures.

Shara Alhasani

Shara Alhasani was born in Al Qunfudah, Saudi Arabia, and came to Ball State to continue her education. When she arrived in America, she knew no one and had no knowledge of American cultures or religions.

"Studying here is different," Alhasani said. "Everything is different."

Alhasani said other students fear her because of her traditional clothing, but she is proud of her Muslim religion.

"I love these clothes," Alhasani said. "And I want people to know."

Because of students' fears, Alhasani said she has made no close friends in America up to this point. She said when she reaches out to other people there's no response.

Richu Aby

Senior Richu Aby is an international business major from Kerala, India. She moved to the United States in 1999, but asked her family every day if they could go back home. The cultural differences were a lot for Aby to deal with as a kindergartner.

"We were cutting paper -- arts and crafts. And in India I was doing calligraphy," Aby said.

While the transition took her awhile, today Aby identifies as an American. She said she has earned the right to call herself that, and is proud of it.

"After 16 years, I'm an American. But my race, culture, what's ingrained… that's Indian," Aby said.

Pearl Mohankumar

Pearl Mohankumar was born in Chennai, India, and is a journalism graduate student. Mohankumar said she dealt, and still deals, with stereotypes because of her appearance.

She said even though people assume differently when they first meet her, Mohankumar speaks fluent English, is a practicing Christian and grew up with the same technology most Americans did.

"Not everyone fits into the stereotype," Mohankumar said.

But being abroad does change you, Mohankumar said. She said it's hard for visitors to assimilate into American culture, and when they return home, they don't fit in there anymore, either.

Mohankumar said people tend to be afraid of offending international students by saying something wrong, but the silence of saying nothing is worse than saying the wrong thing. 

"Whether you're American or from some other country -- at the core level all humans are the same," she said.