The college student's guide to birth control

On May 9, 2010 women across the country will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the approval of the birth control pill. However, millions of low-income women still lack access to birth control. (Kelsey Snell/MCT)

College students are having sex.

The amount of 18-24 year-olds who reported doing “it” in the past 12 months is high —about 75 percent, according to a 2014 survey from the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy.

When it comes to birth control, 94 percent of 18-29 year-olds are confident they know how to prevent unplanned pregnancies. The reality is, 71 percent know little or nothing about intrauterine devices, 40 percent are hazy on birth control pills and 11 percent know little about condoms.

But birth control is tricky. There are at least 20 different types, and each of them comes with a set of benefits and risks. Here’s a guide, based on information from Planned Parenthood:

FOR WOMEN

Birth control implants

These implants are small rods, about the size of a match stick, that are inserted into the arm. They are effective for up to three years. To get an implant, a visit to a health care provider is necessary.

Side effects: The most common is irregular bleeding within the first 6-12 months after getting the implant. Other side effects include nausea, headache, breast tenderness, weight gain and discoloring or scarring of the skin where the implant was inserted. It is rare, but there is possibility of infection in the arm. Serious side effects include bleeding or pus where the implant was inserted, breast lumps and the yellowing of the skin or eyes; see a health care provider if any of these occur.

Effectiveness: More than 99 percent 

Cost: It ranges from $0-$800 and includes an exam, the implant itself and insertion. Removal can cost anywhere from $0-$300. Common brand names include Implanon and Nexplanon. This is a more expensive option, but also lasts quite a bit longer.

Birth control patch

Just like it sounds, the birth control patch is a small, square patch that sticks to the skin. The patch is used in rotation, with the user putting on a new patch once a week for three straight weeks, then going one week without a patch. The patch is most effective when it is placed on-time each time. This keeps the hormone levels correct.

If the patch becomes loose or falls off after fewer than 48 hours, it is safe to reapply the patch. For more than 48 hours, change the patch completely, and make that day of the week the new day to change patches regularly.

Side effects: Breast tenderness, bleeding between periods, nausea and vomiting, and irritation where the patch is placed on the skin. It can take up to two months after the discontinued use of the patch for hormone levels to return to normal. Rare risks include heart attack, stroke, high blood pressure, gallstones, jaundice and liver tumors.

Effectiveness: More than 99 percent each year if always used correctly, 91 percent if not

Cost: A supply for one month can be $0-$80. Prescriptions are necessary to get the birth control patch.

Currently, the makers of the patch have stopped producing. There are other, similar methods of birth control which are just as effective.

Birth control pills

Birth control pills are a medication that is taken daily. Also called oral contraception, they come in 21-day and 28-day packs. In both types, there are 21 pills which have hormones, called “active” pills. In 28-day packs, the last seven pills do not contain hormones and are called “reminder” pills. A woman will usually get her period during the week of “reminder” pills.

There are two types of pills: progestin-only pills and combination pills. Combination pills also have estrogen in them and are more common. Birth control pills also offer benefits such as acne protection and lessened menstrual cramps.

Sara Nedroscik, a freshman interior design major, takes birth control pills to lessen the severity of her periods and cramps.

“I also feel a little less paranoid about getting pregnant, if I choose to have sex,” she said.

Nedroscik said she likes how easy the pill is to take, and how the packaging lets her know when her period is coming.

The pills are most effective when taken at the same time every day. They offer protection against pregnancy, but not STDs.

Side effects: Bleeding between periods, nausea and vomiting, and breast tenderness. Taking the pill at night may help with the nausea and vomiting. More serious, but also rare, side effects can include blood clots forming in the legs, lungs, heart or brain; jaundice; liver tumors; gallstones; stroke and heart attack. Progestin-only pills have a lower risk of the more serious side effects. Birth control pills are available by prescription.

Effectiveness: 99.9 percent when taken correctly, according to WebMD, 91 percent if not, according to Planned Parenthood

Cost: Anywhere from $0-$50 a month.

Birth control shots

This is a shot in the arm that prevents pregnancy for three months. A prescription is necessary. A health care provider will discuss medical history and perform any exams necessary.

Women who have breast cancer, are pregnant or are taking medicine to treat Cushing’s syndrome should not use the shot.

Side effects: Changes in a woman’s period (shorter and lighter, longer and heavier, or stopping altogether), change in appetite, weight gain, hair loss, increased hair on the face or body, nausea, sore breasts, headaches, depression and temporary bone thinning. The side effects may continue 12-14 weeks after the shot wears off. Getting pregnant may take 6-10 months after taking the shot.

Effectiveness: More than 99 percent, 94 percent if not used correctly 

Cost: $0-100. Will be more if an exam is given. The most common brand is Depo-Provera.

Birth control sponge (Today Sponge)

The birth control sponge is a made of foam and worn inside the vagina to prevent pregnancy. It contains spermicide, which is a substance that prevents sperm from moving.

Birth control sponges cover the cervix to prevent the sperm from entering the uterus. There is a small loop on the bottom of the sponge for removal. They are most effective for women who have never given birth.

The sponge is easy to insert with practice and can still be used during breastfeeding. There are no effects on a woman’s hormones. It can be inserted up to 24 hours before having sex, and should be left in place at least six hours after having sex. Do not wear the sponge for more than 30 hours in a row.

Side effects: Using the sponge puts a woman at a higher risk for toxic shock syndrome. Some signs of toxic shock syndrome include diarrhea, dizziness, sore throat, sudden high fever, weakness, vomiting and a sunburn-type rash. See a health care provider as soon as possible if any of these occur. The spermicide can increase risk of STDs and more risks for those with HIV or at high risk for HIV.

Effectiveness: 91 percent if used correctly, 88 percent if not

Cost: The only brand of birth control sponge available in the United States is the Today Sponge. It comes in packs of three and costs $0-$15. It can be purchased at family planning clinics, drugstores, some supermarkets and online.

Birth control vaginal ring (NuvaRing)

The vaginal ring is a small ring inserted into the vagina once a month and prevents pregnancy for three weeks. The NuvaRing is the brand name version of this type of birth control.

It is most effective when left in place for three weeks, taken out for one week and then replaced with a new one.

The vaginal ring works much like a birth control pill, and it offers many of the same benefits. Normally, a woman’s period will come during the week she is not wearing the vaginal ring. The rings do come with expiration dates, so it is important to check that before insertion.

Side effects: Bleeding between periods, nausea, vomiting and breast tenderness. Long-lasting side effects include increased vaginal discharge, irritation and infection. More serious and rare side effects include jaundice, gallstones, liver tumors and high blood pressure. Very rare and fatal side effects are heart attack, stroke and blood clots in the lungs, heart, brain or legs. A prescription is necessary to get the vaginal ring.

Effectiveness: More than 99 percent if used correctly, 91 percent if not

Cost: $0-80 a month

Cervical cap (FemCap)

The cervical cap is a silicone cup, which is inserted into the vagina over the cervix. It can be used with spermicide to increase effectiveness.

Caps are good for two years. It is important to take care of the cap by washing it regularly and checking for holes or weak spots. Checking that the cap is in place before sex can also help decrease chances of unplanned pregnancy.

The caps can be inserted up to six hours before sex.

Side effects: Vaginal irritation as an allergic reaction to spermicide and pain or discomfort. See a doctor if there is a burning sensation while urinating, irritation or itching, redness or swelling of the vagina or unusual discharge from the vagina.

Effectiveness: 86 percent if used correctly, 71 percent if not

Cost: $0-75. FemCap is the only brand available in the United States. It is necessary to see a health care provider to get a cervical cap. It can be purchased at drugstores or clinics with a prescription. There will be exams in order to check for signs that the cap is right method of birth control, which costs $0-$200.

Diaphragm

Diaphragms are much like cervical caps. They are shallow, dome-shaped cups made of silicone. They cover the cervix after being inserted into the vagina. Like cervical caps, they are most effective when used with spermicide cream or jelly.

Taking care of the diaphragm is important, because it can last up to two years. Wash it regularly, and check for holes and weak spots. Stop using the diaphragm if it has holes, cracks, wrinkles or weak spots. It is important to make sure the diaphragm is covering the cervix before having sex.

They can be inserted hours before sex and have no effect on a woman’s hormones. Diaphragms must be left in for six hours after the last time a woman has sex, but should not be left in for more than 24 hours.

They can also be used during breastfeeding. They may be hard to insert and may need to be refitted.

Side effects: Frequent urinary tract infections and vaginal irritation.

Effectiveness: 94 percent if used correctly, 88 percent if not

Cost: $0-75 at clinics and drugstores. Initial exams can cost $0-$200 and spermicide kits cost $0-$17.

Female condoms

Yes, they do exist. The female condom is a type of pouch inserted into the vagina. Like a condom for men, it has a one-time use. It is inserted into the vagina before sex and taken out directly after.

Female condoms protect against both pregnancy and STDs. One other benefit to female condoms is that they are not made of latex, so people with latex allergies can use them.

They can be used by any woman who can use a tampon. Insertion is very similar.

Side effects: Irritation of the vagina, vulva or penis. It is possible for them to slip into the vagina during sex.

Effectiveness: 95 percent if used correctly, 79 percent if not

Cost: $2-4 at most drugstores and even some supermarkets

IUD

IUD stands for “intrauterine device.” They are shaped like the letter “T” and inserted into the uterus.

There are two types available in the United States: copper (which is available underneath the brand name ParaGard) and hormonal (which can be either Mirena or Skyla).

The ParaGard IUD is effective for up to 12 years, Mirena for five, and Skyla for three.

Women should not use the ParaGard IUD if they have an allergy to copper, and they should not use any IUD if they have an STD or any kind of cancer.

They must be inserted and removed by a health care provider, and some tests need to be performed before insertion.

Side effects: Changes in period (irregular periods with Mirena or Skyla, heavier with worse menstrual cramps with ParaGard), spotting between periods, mild to moderate pain when the IUD is inserted and cramping or backaches. Pain relievers usually help with most discomforts. More serious side effects include the IUD slipping out of the uterus, infection or even the IUD pushing through the wall of the uterus.

Pregnancy can happen if the IUD slips out of place. If that were to happen, it would be necessary to get the IUD removed immediately

Effectiveness: More than 99 percent

Cost: $0-$1000, which includes the medical exam(s) or test(s), the IUD itself, insertion and any follow-up visits.

Morning-after pill (emergency contraception)

Commonly called “the morning-after pill,” this form of emergency contraception is taken after unprotected sex.

This type of birth control also works if there was problem with the contraception being used, like a condom breaking.

Pregnancy doesn’t happen right away after sex; it can take up to six days for the sperm and egg to join. Emergency contraception pills keep the woman’s ovary from releasing an egg for longer than normal and is therefore considered birth control.

The pills become less effective the longer a woman waits to take it, as well as for women with a body mass index higher than 35.

Emergency contraception should not be used as a regular, ongoing form of birth control

Side effects: Breast tenderness, headaches, dizziness, nausea and vomiting. If a woman vomits within two hours of taking the pill, it will no longer be effective and she will need to take it again.

Effectiveness: 89 percent if taken within 72 hours of sex.

Cost: $30-65. Many brands of emergency contraception are available without a prescription, including Ella, Plan B One-Step and Next Choice One Dose.

Spermicide

This sounds like a chemical, and that’s because it is. Spermicides contain chemicals that stop sperm from moving. They are available in forms such as creams, foams, gels, film and suppositories.

As mentioned before with birth control methods such as cervical caps and diaphragms, spermicides can be used with other forms of birth control, but they can also be used alone. It is less effective when used alone, but chances of reducing pregnancy are better than not using any form of birth control at all.

Spermicide is inserted into the vagina with a finger or applicator.

The spermicide needs to sit in the vagina at least 10 minutes before having sex and only lasts for about an hour. It is necessary that a woman insert more spermicide before each time she has sex.

Spermicides do not contain hormones; there will be no side effects in that manner.

Side effects: There is a possibility of allergy to the chemicals in spermicides, and therefore for skin irritations.

Effectiveness: 85 percent if used correctly, 71 percent if not

Cost: $8 for foam and gel spermicide applicator kits. Available at drugstores, some supermarkets and family planning clinics. The refills can cost between $4 and $8. There are large cans of foam available, which contain 20-40 applications. Film and suppository types also cost about $8.

FOR MEN

Condoms

Condoms are made of latex or plastic and are worn on the penis during sex. They both prevent pregnancy and reduce the risk of transmitting STDs.

They can be made more effective by using spermicide as well. If a person is allergic to latex, then they need to use the plastic kind.

Condoms are more likely to break if they have been exposed to heat, air and light for long periods of time. Only water-based lubricants should be used with latex condoms; oil-based lubricants can damage latex

Don’t fall for “novelty” condoms; they are not supposed to be used as pregnancy protection.

Side effects: None if the person is not allergic to latex.

Effectiveness: 98 percent, according to webmd.com

Cost: $1 a piece. There are packets of three, which can cost $2-$6, and packets of 12, where the condoms will cost less than a dollar each. Some condoms are available for free.

Vasalgel

This is a relatively new form of male birth control that is currently unavailable. Vasalgel is a gel injected into the vas deferens, or the tube through which the sperm swim.

The advantage to Vasalgel is its greater chance of being reversible. The gel can be flushed out of the vas deferens with another injection, restoring the flow of sperm. 

Zac Calhoun, a freshman biology major, said he's heard about Vasalgel and thinks it sounds like a bad idea. 

“I think the thought of a gel being injected [into the vas deferens] is the most terrifying thing (in terms of birth control) ever,” Calhoun said. “I don’t mind needles, but not there.”

Vasalgel takes its format from another type of gel contraceptive called RISUG, which has been in clinical trials in India, according to the Parsemus Foundation’s website. It is currently being tested on rabbits, and the first human clinical trial is set for 2016.