Kicking issues continue to cause problems for Cardinals

Freshmen kicker Morgan Hagee reacts after Ball State lost 24-19 to Northwestern on Sept. 26 at Ryan Field. Hagee missed two field goals and an extra point that would have given Ball State the lead by one point. DN PHOTO ALLISON COFFIN

Hagee Season Statistics

PAT kicks - 14-15

Makes-attempts - 8-12

Long - 43

Five games, four missed field goals.

Kicking issues have plagued the Cardinals this season, including this weekend's Homecoming loss against Toledo.

Freshman Morgan Hagee was 1-for-2 in the game versus the Rockets, connecting from 19 yards out. He's 8-for-12 on the season.

“We've had two weeks in a row where our field goal operation has not looked good,” head coach Pete Lembo said. “If we're going to operate like that to try to get three points, we're better off going for it even if it's fourth and a million.”

While the Cardinals struggled in all three phases of the game on Oct. 3, a continuing downward trend is the performance of special teams.

Hagee's miss against Toledo was shanked or partially blocked. He missed two field goals and an extra point the week before at No. 17 Northwestern.

The missed opportunities aren't all on Hagee, as the line has also been an issue. But Lembo wants to see more consistency from his kicker.

“I don't think it's [the entire unit],” Lembo said. “It was one of those days where it seemed like every guy took their turn at having an execution breakdown.”

The Homecoming game was decided by two touchdowns, so the missed field goal didn't decide the game. But the offense has struggled to put the ball in the end zone this year, so field goals are important.

Lembo has show his willingness to be patient with young players for them to learn and develop. He has not indicated that he will bench Hagee in the near future, but it could be a cause for concern in the future.

Hagee won the place-kicking job prior to the season. 

The Cardinals also have Steve Drida and Alex Egan who are also capable of kicking field goals.

Ball State has a week to sure up its kicking situation before traveling to Dekalb, Ill. to take on Northern Illinois in its third Mid-American Conference game of the season.