Williams named to Biletnikoff Award watch list

Senior wide receiver Jordan Williams celebrates with sophomore wide receiver Corey Lacanaria after getting a touchdown during the game against Toledo on Oct. 2 at Scheumann Stadium. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Jordan Williams - Career Accolades

• 2014 All-Mid-American Conference Second Team
  • 2014 & 2013 Fred Biletnikoff Award Watch List
  • 2013 All-Mid-American Conference Third Team

Ball State wide receiver Jordan Williams' strong start to the season has catapulted his name into the national conversation.

Williams was one of seven players added to the 2015 Fred Biletnikoff Award watch list on Oct. 14 based on his performance this year. The Biletnikoff Award is given annually to the nation's top college football receiver, and will be announced on Dec. 10.

The 6-foot-3 senior has been a top target for freshman quarterback Riley Neal this season, hauling in 39 catches for 555 yards and four touchdowns.

“I have the most confidence in Jordan, but I feel that way about all of our receivers,” Neal said. “They’re all great receivers and capable of doing great things. So it’s not just Jordan, but yes it’s Jordan, too.”

Williams has risen up the Ball State career leaderboard this season. He currently sits in sixth for all-time receptions, and fifth in most receiving yards and receiving touchdowns.

After missing the preseason due to injuries over the summer, Williams has recorded at least 100 yards in each of the last three games. His biggest output of the season came on a national stage, with eight grabs for 133 yards and two touchdowns at then-No. 17 Northwestern.

“I’m proud of Jordan … he missed almost all of the preseason,” head coach Pete Lembo said. “This last two, three weeks, he is really stepping up and starting to play at the level we believe he is capable of.”

The Cardinals sit at 2-4 (1-2) on the season. Ball State's next game comes at home against Georgia State on Oct. 17.

As a leader, Williams will look to continue his strong play and lead Ball State to a strong finish in the Mid-American Conference in hopes of earning bowl eligibility with a sixth win.

“I just had an expectation from coach Lembo and the coaching staff to step up and be a leader,” Williams said. “The better job I do at that, the more it shows on the field.”