Family Weekend off the beaten path

<p><em>DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY</em></p>

DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Family Weekend is a good excuse to break out of your regular campus routine and show Mom and Pop the beauty of Ball State. Besides, do you really want to show your parents how much Netflix you've been watching while eating Taco Bell? 

Many families plan to attend the football game, but other parts of campus roll out the red carpet for families as well. Here are some Family Weekend events you might overlook, but could give you and your family a memorable experience. 

Halloween Astronomy at the Planetarium: 

Impress your family with a visit to the Charles W. Brown Planetarium. They are doing a show that features the skies on Halloween. It's free, but plan to get there early because shows can fill up. If your family isn't into stargazing, this show continues through Halloween.

6:30 p.m. Friday, 6:30 and 8 p.m. Saturday, Charles W. Brown Planetarium 

Bell Tower Recital:

Sure, you've got tons of Instagram pics of the bell tower, but have you ever seen campus from it? This recital could be your chance. The organist and carillonneur (that means he can play bells in a tower) John Gouwens will perform at the base of the bell tower. Then, he's giving tours in the tower. That's not an opportunity that comes around every day. 

11 a.m. Saturday, Shafer Bell Tower

Breakfast with Charlie: If you have a meal plan (or know someone with a meal plan), don't miss Breakfast with Charlie. Pictures with Charlie are great, but a free buffet is better. And your parents will be happy they don't have to spend money. Students with meal plans get two free guest meals. No mimosas, though. The menu includes ham, a farmer's casserole, Belgian waffles with a topper bar and portobello mushroom ravioli in alfredo sauce. 

9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Sunday, Noyer

Community Day at the David Owsley Museum of Art

The art museum opens its doors on Sunday for Community Day. It's a great day to visit the museum if you're museum-shy, because there are lots of people, free food and music in addition to the art. The museum will also have special programming and art demonstrations. City of Muncie employees will also be honored for the city's 150th anniversary. 

1:30 p.m. Sunday, David Owsley Museum of Art 

Here's the full schedule.