Offensive line key in Ball State victory

Players react to a pile up during the game against the Virginia Military Institute at Scheumann Stadium on Thursday night. DN PHOTO TAYLOR IRBY

Ball State - Team statistics

Total yards - 567

Passing yards - 338

Rushing yards - 229

First downs - 33

Time of possession - 32:27

In its first game of the season, the Ball State football team gained 567 total yards and put up 48 points.

Head coach Pete Lembo was able to utilize his fast-paced, short-yardage-based offense thanks to the time his veteran offensive line provided for the quarterback and running backs.

"We operated pretty well offensively," Lembo said. "Nobody panicked and everyone kept playing. Good, solid win."

The Ball State offense racked up points throughout the game behind the right arm of sophomore signal-caller Jack Milas.

Milas looked relaxed throughout the game, finding eight different receivers in the game. He finished 34-52 in the game for a career high 338 yards, one touchdown and one interception - a tipped pass off receiver Chris Shilling's fingertips. Milas was not sacked in the game.

While he was rushed at times, the team operated well under the fast-paced scheme.

"It's tough, but we have routes that are made for that kind of blitz," Milas said. "We just have to ID it right. We knew that going in that they were going to bring pressure."

Ball State's running back committee was able to find gaps in the Keydets' defense throughout the game. The running game finished with a total of 229 yards and accounted for five of the team's six touchdowns.

With a fair amount of screen and quick passes called, it is crucial to have an offensive line that is both agile and strong. There were two new starters listed on the depth chart released prior to the game, but Lembo was confident to use seven different linemen.

"We played seven [offensive lineman]," Lembo said. "We are very pleased with that group. They work hard, they work really well together ... one thing you didn't see was any negative plays tonight."

Ball State had no issue in pushing the Keydets' front seven backwards in the trenches. Stamina has been an issue for the Cardinals in the past - especially in the fourth quarter - but the men up front looked strong throughout the game.

The Cardinals' offensive line will have to bring its best in the team's next game, as it travels to take on national powerhouse Texas A&M on Sept. 12.