Fashion Your Seatbelt: Shredded denim is the new little black dress

Style Lessons from New York Fashion Week

Alysa Rice is a freshman magazine journalism major and writes fashion reviews for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Alysa at aarice@bsu.edu.

Before asking what more New York City could offer, step into the captivating spotlight of one of the fashion capital's most crucial weeks of the year. 

Of course each year is different, but this Spring/Summer RTW (ready-to-wear) 2016 Fashion Week is a big one. Bringing a taste of Paris to the Big Apple, Givenchy celebrates a new store opening and designer Riccardo Tisci’s 10th anniversary at the label.

Held on Sept. 11 in the shadows of the skyline, the show claims to be a tribute to 9/11. While Mr. Tisci was celebrating the launch of his new designs, citizens were dodging limos transporting Givenchy enthusiasts like Kim and Kanye, attempting to pay their respects and gather at Ground Zero to mourn the loss of loved ones.

Alysa Rice

Insensitivity aside, Mr. Tisci’s well-crafted and intricate designs are nothing but elegant. In this season’s collection, it’s evident that tuxedo dressing intertwined with silk and lacey slip dresses mixed with pearls is the new chic. Before thinking of the whole bow tie and cummerbund get-up, rest assured that these liquid black trousers paired with silk kimono jackets look exquisite. Also opting for the polished, classic aesthetic, Peter Copping, creative director for Oscar de la Renta, declares a new start for the label with lavish gowns.

Monochromatic silks offer another clean, pretty spring trend of 2016. Loose trenches, bathrobe coats and sleeveless dresses adorned with drawstrings make this spring’s slumber party that much more stylish.

Also celebrating a 10th year anniversary is designer Alexander Wang, who, on the contrary, provides a darker approach through his collection. Apparently, masculinity is the new femininity and shredded denim is the new little black dress. Innovative? Not really. Creative? I guess. In an attempt to be “cool," Wang fails to make a woman feel anything other than borderline annoyed with Army jackets, cotton undershirts and low-rise trousers.

Fashion isn’t supposed to have boundaries when creating, but when does the competition for biggest statement end? Not only are the runways strutted with incredible looks, even the sidewalks of Manhattan are flooded with different tastes and styles competing for the best outfit. The confidence, inspiration and innovation behind the wardrobes of these fashionistas are what make New York Fashion Week great.

As the shows draw to an end and Kanye West manages to squeeze into the limelight yet again with a second fashion show (as if his running for 2020 presidency wasn’t enough), it’s presumed that slouchy, low-rise trousers and robe-like trenches will be an emerging trend for the spring of 2016.

New York, you never disappoint. However, if it weren’t for Oscar de la Renta’s breathtakingly gorgeous gowns, this Fashion Week would’ve surely been a 7/10.

Next stop—London.