Student died in car crash, remembered for love of learning

<p>Michelle Bruggeman, 21, died Sept. 3 in a car crash. She will be remembered by her passion for learning and love of others. <em>PHOTO COURTESY OF FACEBOOK</em></p>

Michelle Bruggeman, 21, died Sept. 3 in a car crash. She will be remembered by her passion for learning and love of others. PHOTO COURTESY OF FACEBOOK

Michelle Bruggeman had a love for learning, and her passion to work with others is being cherished by those who remember her. 

The Ball State senior, 21, died Sept. 3, from injuries sustained in a car crash. 

Her brother, Michael Bruggeman, said during this “very difficult and confusing time,” their family is remembering her loving personality and her excitement to attend Ball State.

“She was really happy because it was also close to Fort Wayne so she could still work — all of Michelle’s employers loved her and never wanted to let her to go to another job because of her great personality,” Michael said. “She already knew some students that went to Ball State, and she was making friends with everybody from the start."

Michael said Michelle loved to visit new places, and she was looking forward to studying abroad at Ball State.

"She loved to travel," Michael said. "She has been to Germany three times, London, Paris, Japan, and not to mention the family vacations. Nothing was going to stop her.

"Sometimes we just don't understand. She will be greatly missed, but God has a reason for everything he does."

Abby Muhlenkamp, a friend of Michelle's and a sophomore music education major, said she looked up to Michelle who was pursuing her fourth degree while attending Ball State. 

"Michelle was so dedicated to what she did and had so much going for her. She had so many goals," Muhlenkamp said. 

In addition to her academic endeavors, Muhlenkamp said Michelle had a love for travel and spending time with her friends.

“Michelle didn't know a stranger, and she was such an enjoyable person to be around,” Muhlenkamp said. “She never had a bad word to say about anyone. Michelle was always so happy. You never saw her without a smile on her face.”

Michelle was studying journalism and social work at Ball State, and was a new transfer to the university this year from Fort Wayne, Ind. She was one of three children and was from Portland, Ind., where she graduated from Jay County High School 
in 2012.

Before coming to Ball State, she was a 2014 graduate from the International Business College in Fort Wayne with a degree in travel and hospitality and in 2015 she graduated from Ivy Tech College, Fort Wayne with an associate degree in Liberal Arts.

Michelle was employed at WestPoint Financial in Fort Wayne and had formerly worked at Windsor Fashions and Victoria's Secret.

“For those who are connected to her, she was an amazing person and will truly be missed,” wrote co-worker Michael Reed of WestPoint Financial group in a post on LinkedIn. “We were blessed to have her as part of our WestPoint family.”

Josh Evans, a junior sports management major at Ball State, is also from Fort Wayne and remembers meeting Michelle at transfer orientation earlier this year.

“We talked about what we did in Fort Wayne and how excited we were to start school down here at Ball State,” Evans said. “We even went out one night after a Fort Wayne Tincaps game and I just remember having such a fun time with her, so much laughing and telling stories.”

Evans said Michelle always took interest in what people had to say, and she enjoyed talking about her love for babysitting.

“She loved the little girl she would babysit for," Evans said. “I know her smile could always light up the room, and her energetic personality made her such a joy to be around.”

Michelle was an active member of Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Bryant, Ind. and was buried in Holy Trinity Cemetery Sept. 7.

“She was such an inspiration with her kindness and hard work,” Muhlenkamp said. “Michelle was such a beautiful, kindhearted individual and she will be so missed by many.”