Ball State 'likely' to play 2 quarterbacks this weekend

Sophomore quarterback Jack Milas calls a play during the game against Virginia Military Institute on Sept. 3 at Scheumann Stadium. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State - Passing statistics

Completions-Attempts - 46-80

Yards per game - 229.5

Touchdowns - 1

Interceptions - 2

Yards per pass - 5.7

Yards per completion - 10.0

Coming into the season, Jack Milas held sole possession of Ball State's starting quarterback spot. 

After the Cardinals' 1-1 start this season, there is competition under center.

True freshman Riley Neal entered the game against Texas A&M on Saturday after Milas' poor start. Neal threw for 116 yards and ran for 64 more. Heading into week three, head coach Pete Lembo plans on getting both quarterbacks some time.

“We'll have to see how the week goes,” Lembo said. “We're likely to play both of them.”

Milas took the reigns last year, and led Ball State to a 3-3 record as a starter.

He started this year on a high note, setting a career-high with 338 passing yards in the team's opening win against Virginia Military Institute.

Milas finished just 1-of-8 against Texas A&M with an interception before being replaced by Neal in the second quarter.

Lembo plans on naming a starter before Ball State takes on Eastern Michigan, as he said the coaching staff does not make game-time decisions. Milas is working to stay on top of the depth chart, but said the team's focus is on its Mid-American Conference.

“We're just going to compete every day and we've got to beat [Eastern Michigan],” Milas said. “That's a goal of ours and we need to do it.”

Although most teams roll with one quarterback, a committee system can be beneficial in some cases. Texas A&M, Ball State's last opponent, is currently using two different signal-callers.

Using Milas and Neal could allow the Cardinals' coaches to take advantage of their strengths.

Milas has the edge over Neal in experience, as he has started eight games in his collegiate career. He has shown he can put up big numbers in the passing game, and he improved his arm strength over the offseason.

Neal's ability to scramble and pick up yardage is an asset that can add another dimension to the Ball State offense.

On Neal's first full drive against the Aggies, he ran for 29 yards while setting up the Cardinals' first touchdown of the night.

Both quarterbacks will continue to take first-team reps as Lembo decides who will take the first snaps against Eastern Michigan.

“[Neal] is a good player too,” Milas said. “I'm going to keep competing and keep going no matter what happens.”