On-time graduation rate jumps

<p>Ball State’s four year graduation rate increased by 12.1 percent, to 36 percent in the last 5 years. <em>DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY.&nbsp;</em></p>

Ball State’s four year graduation rate increased by 12.1 percent, to 36 percent in the last 5 years. DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY. 

Ball State University has the largest increase in on-time graduation rates over other universities in Indiana.

According to a report released by the Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Ball State’s four year graduation rate increased by 12.1 percent, to 36 percent in the last 5 years.

Kay Bales, dean of students and vice president for student affairs, said the data shows Ball State is making significant strides in helping students succeed.

“We offer students a positive challenging academic experience and provide students with outstanding academic support programs,” Bales said.

One reason for the increase is because the university connects students with campus resources as soon as they arrive for orientation, Bales said. Ball State’s higher student retention has also contributed to the improvement in four-year graduation rates.

“The more students retained, the more likely they will graduate — and do so on time,” she said.

While it is hard to determine what exactly other Indiana colleges are doing to increase their on-time graduation rates, Bales said Ball State’s Office of Retention and Graduation Specialists is unique.

The university is continuing to work toward its plan to increase four year graduation rates to 50 percent by 2018. Ball State President Paul W. Ferguson proposed the plan, called the Centennial Commitment, in February 2015 in an effort to make Ball State more student-centered, community-engaged and a model 21st century public research university.