Ball State ready to begin season with Active Ankle Challenge

Junior setter Jenna Spadafora high fives her teammates before the match against Akron on Nov. 15 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Active Ankle Challenge - Schedule

*Ball State matches in Bold

Aug. 28 - New Mexico vs. Belmont - 10 a.m.

Aug. 28 - Albany vs. Ball State - 12 p.m.

Aug. 28 - New Mexico vs. Albany - 5 p.m.

Aug. 28 - Belmont vs. Ball State - 7 p.m.

Aug. 29 - Belmont vs. Albany - 4 p.m.

Aug. 29 - New Mexico vs. Ball State - 7 p.m.

The Cardinals will host the Active Ankle Challenge Aug. 28-29 at the new-look Worthen Arena. Ball State will face off against Albany, Belmont and New Mexico to begin the season. The Active Ankle Challenge is the first of four tournaments for Ball State this season.

"It's a lot of different schools that give us a lot of different styles to look at and compete against," senior setter Jenna Spadafora said.

Women's volleyball is much different than its men's counterpart. Head coach Steve Shondell said there is some advantage to being thrown into the fire right away.

"[Men] usually don't have to play tournaments during the season, while we play most of our non-conference schedule in tournaments and then it spreads out for the conference schedule." Shondell said. "It isn't my ideal way to start the season, but it does make us think on our feet more often and adjust when we have to play so consecutively."

Although there is benefit, three matches also makes for a long weekend. The Cardinals will play two matches on Aug. 28 and one more on Aug. 29.

"By the third match, it's pretty much just trying to survive," Shondell said. "But it gives the team, especially the new players, experience and will show us our weaknesses that we can work on when get back out to practice after."

A few weeks into practice, the players are already chomping at the bit to compete against someone other than a teammate.

The Cardinals are rich in experience with six seniors. There are also six true freshmen on the roster, however, along with two redshirt freshmen.

In order for the Cardinals to get back to the top of the Mid-American Conference, the veteran players know they will need a large contribution from their younger teammates.

"We are excited to see some new serves and play on the home court and start this new season," Spadafora said. "We want to see how this team does under the lights of the arena and steps up to the challenge."

Ball State's match against Albany will begin at 12 p.m. on Aug. 28. It will close the night at 7:30 p.m. versus Belmont. The following day, the Cardinals will conclude the tournament by taking on New Mexico at 7 p.m.

It may seem like a tall order to win three matches in two days, but the Cardinals are eager to put on the uniform.

"I don't see any disadvantages for us," Spadafora said. "We get to finally play, and we get a great learning experience that we can take a lot from. The team is ready to hit the court."