Theta Chi member condition improving, family creates website dedicated to his condition

<p>Brandon Benesh, Theta Chi's vice president of health and safety, was put into a medically induced coma after he went into cardiac arrest late Wednesday, July 29. The Greek community is bonding together to support Benesh and Theta Chi. </p><p>Photo provided by Alex Penilla</p>

Brandon Benesh, Theta Chi's vice president of health and safety, was put into a medically induced coma after he went into cardiac arrest late Wednesday, July 29. The Greek community is bonding together to support Benesh and Theta Chi. 

Photo provided by Alex Penilla

Theta Chi's Twitter: https://twitter.com/BSUThetaChi

UPDATE: Brandon Benesh's family has created a website to post updates on the condition of the Theta Chi member. A Sunday morning post made by Benesh's mother said his condition has improved. 

The site also details how he fell ill. 

On July 29, Benesh collapsed in a Waffle House in Shelbyville following a day spent with his family, according to a post

A waitress administered CPR on Benesh until paramedics arrived. He was taken to Major Hospital in Shelbyville where doctors restarted his heart. It stopped beating for 30 minutes, according to the website. 

Doctors at the Shelbyville hospital stabilized and transferred him to Indiana University Health Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis.

According to the Sunday post by Becky Benesh, Brandon's mother, he has broken ribs, a collapsed lung, pneumonia and heart problems. But, he is getting better. 

Last night, doctors were able to lay Brandon on his back without him going into cardiac arrest for the first time, according to the post. His pneumonia is dissipating, his collapsed lung is now functioning and kidney failure was prevented. 

Becky said they hope to address his heart problems next week. 

Brandon is still in a medically induced coma and on a ventilator. More than 100 people have come to visit him.

Updates on his condition are being posted at prayforbrandon.com.

Ball State’s Theta Chi fraternity is responding to the sudden hospitalization of one of its members after he went into cardiac arrest July 29.

Brandon Benesh, Theta Chi's vice president of health and safety, was admitted to Indiana University Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis on Wednesday, July 29 after going into cardiac arrest late that night. He is in a medically induced coma and is in critical condition.

Theta Chi learned of Benesh's condition July 30 when their President Clay Holman sent an email to all active members of the fraternity regarding the situation. Throughout the day, over a dozen of Benesh’s brothers visited him at the hospital, and more are expected to show in the next few days.

“It’s just a tough time right now,” Holman said. “None of us at the hospital are in the condition to speak about [Benesh’s condition].”

Although members are keeping one another in the loop, specific medical details are being left private out of respect for Benesh and his family. Alex Penilla, a friend and fraternity brother to Benesh, said updates and medical statuses are being shared with the chapter through Facebook.

“He needs his brothers now more than ever before,” Penilla said. “Brandon is one of the nicest guys I've ever met and for something like this to happen to another brother, and a friend, is painful and shocking.”

Benish’s brothers describe him as a very committed leader to Theta Chi. Other Greek organizations agree and have been flooding Twitter with supportive feedback and encouragement. Ball State’s Pi Kappa Phi fraternity was one of the first to reach out to Benish and Theta Chi.

“Showing support across campus is very important to [Pi Kappa Phi],” said Casey Miller, president of Pi Kappa Phi. “Whenever we see another Greek organization that’s in need, whether it’s emotionally or physically, we make an effort to reach out to them and send good vibes.”

Miller said social media is one of the many ways the Greek community creates fellowship, and despite the difficult situation Theta Chi chapter is experiencing, there will always be strong support from other Greek organizations on campus.

“We all have different letters, but at the end of the day, we’re all Ball State Greek life,” Miller said.

Those close to Benish have been following the flood of “thoughts and prayers,” Penilla said. Although Benesh is currently unable to respond, his fraternity brothers are convinced that upon recovery he will see how much everyone united and cared for one another.

“The support from other Greek organizations has been phenomenal, and we have all noticed how much impact one guy has on the Greek community,” Penilla said. “It really shows how there is unity among Greeks, and we stand together as one.”