Ball State's Tyra Perry named head softball coach at Illinois

Sophomore outfielder talks to head coach Tyra Perry during the first game of the double header against Western Kentucky at First Merchants Ballpark Complex on March 21. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

Tyra Perry coaching stops

Illinois

Ball State

Western Kentucky

Birmingham Southern

"It is a great honor to be named the next head softball coach at the University of Illinois,” Perry said in a statement for The Associated Press. “I am passionate about the wonderful game of softball and will work tirelessly to help lead our program to prominence in the Big Ten and on the national stage. I am thankful to Mike Thomas and the Fighting Illini family for giving me the opportunity to compete at the highest level. I am excited and ready to get to work."

Perry spent two seasons at the helm for the Cardinals, leading the team to 67 wins. Ball State won the Mid-American Conference Tournament in 2015, and competed in the NCAA Tournament.

Under Perry's leadership, the Cardinals had nine All-MAC selections and 13 Academic All-MAC players.

Perry won the MAC Coach after her first season in 2014. She is 409-388-1 in her career as a head coach.