Ball State baseball hands out season awards

The Ball State baseball team congratulates junior infielder Ryan Spaulding after scoring a home run during the first game of the double header against Buffalo on March 28 at First Merchants Ballpark Complex. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

Award Winners

Elbert Devarie - Most Valuable Player, Most Improved

Alex Call - Offensive Player of the Year

Sean Kennedy - Defensive Player of the Year

Zach Plesac - Pitcher of the Year

Jarett Rindfleisch - Dirtbag Award

Jarrett James - Spirit Award

The Cardinals' season ended with a loss in the Mid-American Conference title game.

Senior Elbert Devarie was named Ball State's Most Valuable Player and Most Improved Player. The versatile Devarie started all 58 games for the Cardinals at six different positions.

Devarie played in just 28 games as a junior. During this season, he was second on the team in hitting with a .332 average, along with 35 runs batted in and four home runs.

Sophomore Alex Call led Ball State this season with a .339 batting average. He was named the team's Offensive Player of the Year with 42 runs batted in while being named to the All-MAC Second Team.

Zach Plesac, another sophomore, received the Pitcher of the Year award. He was 5-5 on the year with a squad-best 3.27 earned run average.

Sophomore Sean Kennedy received the Defensive Player of the Year honor with a .943 fielding percentage at third base in 47 games. He committed four errors on the season while recording 40 putouts and 22 assists.

Catcher Jarett Rindfleisch earned the Dirtbag Award and senior Jarrett James received the Ball State Spirit.