Freshman prepares for regional play after MAC title

<p>Freshman Johnny Watts became the third Ball State golfer in history to win the individual championship for the Mid-American Conference Tournament. Watts is also the first Ball State freshman to win it. <em>PHOTO PROVIDED BY BALL STATE ATHLETICS</em></p>

Freshman Johnny Watts became the third Ball State golfer in history to win the individual championship for the Mid-American Conference Tournament. Watts is also the first Ball State freshman to win it. PHOTO PROVIDED BY BALL STATE ATHLETICS

Johnny Watts

Year - Freshman

Hometown - Fishers, Ind.

High School - Hamilton Southeastern

2015 Honors

Mid-American Conference Championships Medalist

All-MAC First Team

MAC All-Tournament Team

Watts was battling an illness the week before the tournament, but became the third Ball State golfer in history to win the MAC individual championship and the first Cardinal freshman to win it.

"It's really been a blessing," Watts said. "I've stayed humble about it. It just shows all the hard work that we've put into it this year has really payed off."

As a freshman, Watts has experienced some highs and lows this season.

He has the third best scoring average on the Ball State roster with a 76.19 average. Watts has two top20 finishes this season, the other coming at the Firestone Invitational in October.

Watts said the team, who finished seventh at the MAC Championships, avoided scoreboard watching, which took the pressure off of him.

"We all push each other in practice and workouts," he said. "Really having each other by our sides and having each other's backs, it really kind of drives us to do our bests every day."

Watts finished the MAC Championships with a 1-under (287) through 72 holes. The Cardinals scored a 1,189 (+37) as a team.

Watts also earned a spot on the All-MAC First Team and the All-Tournament Team. Senior McCormick Clouser was the only other Cardinal to earn All-MAC honors, making the second team.

"[McCormick's] work ethic on an everyday basis kind of rubbed off on these guys, especially the younger guys," head coach Mike Fleck said. "Johnny was one of those guys that took notice of that and stepped everything up relative to what he was doing, and it paid dividends down the stretch."

Watts' next step will be to compete in the NCAA Regional, which will feature some of the best golfers in the nation. 

Ball State hosts the regional that Watts will play in, at Sagamore Golf Club in Noblesville. The Fishers, Ind. product is familiar with the course, and lives just 10 minutes down the road.

Fleck said the advantage lies in knowing the course well and being able to sleep in his own bed.

"I think he's going to do fine, he's going to do well," Fleck said. "We're on a very familiar golf course - he got some practice rounds in last week. We've played there and he knows the course very well."

Watts wants to focus on driving the ball well and putting well on the physical side of the game. He said the biggest part of the game is mental, however.

Fleck tells his players to "control the controllables," and this has helped Watts take a step back after mistakes and move on from them. He said controlling his attitude and doing his best is all he can worry about.

For now, Watts is focused on taking in the moment and enjoying this new experience.

"The ball is in my court," Watts said. "I've got all the resources in the world and I've been able to practice [at Sagamore] for a week in advance. No excuses."