Dining extends hours at residence hall locations for 2015-16 year

<p><em>Samantha Brammer // DN File</em></p>

Samantha Brammer // DN File

If students are looking for food after 7:30 p.m. during the 2015-16 year, they will have several more options than last year.

Most locations closed at 7:30 p.m. in 2014-15, but Ball State Dining has extended hours until 8:30 p.m., primarily at residence hall locations.

Each year, Lucas Miller, assistant director of operations for Ball State Dining, said dining monitors transaction amounts through the cash register system and communicates with students to determine what changes need to be made.

“In the residence halls, there’s a need for hours to be later, and so we tried to look to see where we could add hours that were in the most need that also wouldn’t have a major financial impact,” Miller said. “[We wanted] to catch students who have night classes and are trying to get back, so what we do is we’re trying to see what transactions we have and communicate with student groups to see what they want.”

Dining shared a proposal with Student Government Association and Residence Hall Association, and Miller said those organizations liked the changes mentioned in the proposal.

To offset the financial costs of extending hours in residence hall locations, dining lessened hours elsewhere. The Atrium will be closed on Sundays next year.

“It’s really unusual actually at a university to have a food service location in an academic building to be open on the weekends,” Miller said. “So when we looked at that, what we could do is say it doesn’t make sense to keep it open on Sundays, because it’s not really busy enough. But that allows us then to say with the residential buildings, we can keep them open later to better match where students are at night and what their wants are.”

Besides hours, Miller said the only other change dining made for the upcoming academic year was minor shifts in price based on the costs of goods.