BSU Fit's only male Zumba instructor praises workout's diversity

<p>Luke Schumaker</p>

Luke Schumaker

What: Luke Schumaker's Zumba class

When: Mondays, 6:45-7:45 p.m.; Wednesdays, 6:45-7:30 p.m. and Sundays, 6-7 p.m.

Where: Student Recreation and Wellness Center room 212B

Luke Schumaker

No one can stand still at a Wednesday evening Zumba class in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. That’s not uncommon for an exercise class based on dance movements, but there is something different about the course—the gender of the instructor.

Luke Schumaker is the sole male Zumba instructor for BSU Fit classes. He said he’s excited about being the only one.

“I hope it sends the message that Zumba is for everyone,” the chemistry and Spanish major said. “Anyone can do Zumba and benefit from it in some way.”

Angie Vanderluit, the administrative coordinator for Women’s and Gender Studies, said society determines what certain genders can or cannot do and that dancing is sometimes perceived as feminine.

“Exercises that are considered masculine tend to bulk up the body, but when we think of feminine exercises we tend to slim down the body,” she said.

But Zumba isn't easy, said Schumaker. 

"You're using every muscle in your body. After I get done I look like a bucket of water got dropped over me," he said. 

Schumaker started exercising by running and following workout DVD's, but he couldn't get into them. Three years ago, he started taking Zumba at the YMCA with his sister. 

"I looked at the instructor and I thought I'm never going to be that smooth," he said. 

As he attended more classes, the fast paced movements became easier for him to handle.

In August, he became a certified instructor and in September he began teaching courses at Ball State. This semester he leads three classes each week. 

On Wednesday, he's the only male in the room. 

Jingyao Wang, a student of Schumaker’s, normally has a female instructor for Zumba, but she said she enjoys Schumaker as a teacher.

“It’s pretty different from a female [instructor],” she said. “I think it’s cool.”

Schumaker may be different, but that’s in line with the values of a workout that engages millions of fitness enthusiasts in 180 countries. Alberto Perez, a male Columbian dancer and choreographer, created the workout in the 1990s. 

“Part of what makes Zumba so special is that every class celebrates diversity," Schumaker said. "In order for there to be a true Zumba class, the music of the class must consist of various international rhythms."

Zumba’s choreography incorporates different styles of hip-hop, soca, samba, salsa, merengue and mambo.