'The Talk Show' teaches about consent, effects of sexual assault

Consent is the difference between whether a sexual act is considered to be willful or to be sexual assault.

Many institutions and organizations have definitions that differ, which can be confusing.

The Sexual Threats and Oppression Prevention (STOP) team is sponsoring a week of events for sexual assault awareness. During one of the events, called "The Talk Show," students will be able to better learn the components of consensual sex, as well as what counts as sexual assault and the effects of it.

According to Ball State’s sexual misconduct policy, consent is a “knowing, voluntary and clear mutual agreement to engage in sexual activity.”

It needs to be informed, freely given and communicated clearly, and cannot be given by someone who is incapacitated by drugs or alcohol, or by a minor.

It also can’t be taken from silence or a lack of resistance and can be withdrawn at any point. It doesn’t exist when there is any threat of violence, threats or coercion.

This presentation shows students as guests on a talk show speaking about sexual assault to each other.

Ashley Boester-Dean, a therapist at Ball State’s Counseling Center, said in an email from Greg Wright, executive writer and media relations manager, the presentation is designed to take a fresh look at a topic that can be hard to discuss.

“We want to take every opportunity, in many formats, to educate students about sexual assault awareness and prevention,” Boester-Dean said.

She said this event is the STOP team’s most-requested presentation, and during sexual awareness week, she hopes their message with it will be broadcast to a wider audience.

“By being able to interact with the talk show panelists, students are able to ask questions and gain new information and perspectives in a different way,” Boester-Dean said. “It is also quite impactful for students to hear the story of an assault told from a survivor’s point of view. It helps to humanize the situation and see this not as an abstract concept, but as an issue that has real effects on people’s lives.”