Dance Theatre production to feature songs from The Beatles

What: All You Need Is Love, Ball State Dance Theatre performance

When:  April 22-April 25 7:30 p.m.

Where: University Theatre

Tickets: Students $10, faculty/staff $14, Senior citizens $12, General Public $15

Knowing the words shouldn’t be a problem during Ball State Dance Theatre’s new production featuring hit songs from the iconic band, the Beatles.

Director Audra Sokol called "All You Need is Love" the first Dance Theatre show of its kind at Ball State. The program has never done a concert based on one specific band, she said.

The show will feature dances performed by students to different Beatles songs. 

Senior dance major Mollie Craun have been working on the show all semester and is excited to share it with the public.

“It’s been challenging in the sense that choreographers could only use Beatles music, but I believe that it’s made everyone grow as an artist," she said. "Beatles music is timeless and everyone enjoys it."

Some fan favorite songs will be edited, but they’re all Beatles recordings. Two of the pieces were changed to include dialogue from interviews with the band.

Craun said she wants audience members to walk away from the performance feeling appreciative.

“I just hope the audience enjoys the show and understands the history of the Beatles,” she said.

Sokol has similar goals for the performance. She plans to accomplish them by featuring costumes and lighting effects to represent the time period when the Beatles were at their height in popularity. The performance will show the influence the Beatles have on artists and their work, as well as society, she said.

The performance utilizes dance styles such as ballet, musical theatre and contemporary dance.

In addition to performing to Beatles’ favorites, the Dance Theatre will showcase an original piece choreographed by Sidra Bell, a renowned choreographer who visited Ball State in February. The dance department had two weeks to learn from Bell and to collaborate on this original piece.

Sokol said while Bell’s piece does not feature Beatles music, she is excited to showcase the work by a choreographer of her caliber.

"All You Need is Love" will take place at 7:30 p.m. April 22 in University Theatre.