SGA vice president elect draws inspiration from family, country of birth

<p><em>DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY</em></p>

DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Editor’s Note: This is the third of four stories to run that will feature the slate leading up to their inauguration.

To the future vice president of Student Government Association, Mohandas Gandhi is more than a figure in a history textbook. Her grandfather worked for him, promoting his movement in Southern India.

Junior international business major Richu Aby was born in Kerala, on the southwestern coast of India.

Her grandfather promoted the congregational party and the movement led by Gandhi at the university level, so people would be informed.

“Sometimes people ask me where I get my political kick from, and thinking about it now, it's probably from my grandfather,” Aby said.

Aby attended Catholic school in India until her family moved to the northwest side of Chicago in 2000. She learned some English in India because of the tourists in the area.

“Learning the language was hard, and picking up the culture was weird,” she said. “But it was easier for me than others because I was so young and I’m good at picking up on things.”

She has always had a strong bond with her family, mainly her siblings and 11 cousins.

“I can constantly ask them what I should do,” Aby said. “Even during the elections I was like, ‘Guys, this just happened. I think this is the best course of action, what do you guys think?’ … I am very Christian so they always help me as [a] Christian and what to do.”

Now elected, Aby said people are already starting to come to her with their problems.

“I am confident that I can help these people, and that is my intention,” she said. “Even if it’s a challenge, I am excited about that and so I am happy to be in the position. It’s an honor.”

Aby is used to helping students consistently as a resident assistant in Baker Hall.

Matt King, a sophomore emerging media major and resident assistant in Baker Hall, said Aby cares about others.

“I have never met a person who cares about someone so much,” King said. “She will take the time out of her day to walk you to class.”

Even though she is from Chicago and has no ties to Indiana, she loves Ball State and the community, King said.

After graduation, Aby plans to return to India to help her uncle with the orphanage that he and his church have started. 

"I am really passionate about service and I wanted to give back to my community," Aby said. "There is a huge need in orphanages. Since my uncle runs this orphanage, I think I can make the most impact."