Rapper 2 Chainz to perform at fairgrounds

<p><em>PHOTO PROVIDED BY BACK2BSU</em></p>

PHOTO PROVIDED BY BACK2BSU

What: Spring Fest 2015

When: April 23, 8 p.m. 

Where: Delaware County Fairgrounds

Tickets: $40 in advance, $35 day of, $75 VIP

Before he continues on to California and Las Vegas, rapper 2 Chainz plans to make a stop in Muncie to perform at the Delaware County Fairgrounds.

Back2BSU, a Muncie organization unaffiliated with Ball State that hosts off-campus parties, brought 2 Chainz to Muncie as the headliner for Spring Fest, a music event also featuring hip-hop performances from local DJs.

2 Chainz isn’t the first famous rapper to come to Ball State. DJ B-Rad, also involved with Back2BSU, hosted Juicy J during the Fall Semester.

Darius Norwood, a junior public relations major and the president of Mind Over Matter PR, planned to host another type of event which eventually fell through. He brainstormed ideas with B-Rad before they began planning Spring Fest.

B-Rad contacted 2 Chainz’s manager and succeeded in booking the artist. But that wasn’t the end of Spring Fest preparations. 

Social media has played a major role in garnering pre-concert buzz. Through a series of promotions and bonus ticket offerings, Back2BSU has held social media contests such as #SelfieSunday for a chance to win free tickets. 

“We worked on ideas on getting the campus involved, other ways than forcing flyers down everyone’s throats,” said Norwood.

Allyson Edmonds, a sophomore journalism major, won one of 16 2 Chainz concert tickets from the Unified Media 2 Chainz ticket hunt. Students followed clues posted on the Ball State Daily News’ promotions page to find the tickets hidden throughout campus.

“I’m super excited about the show,” said Edmonds. “I listen to 2 Chainz’s music so I can already imagine what it’s going to be like.”

Finals start five days after the concert, but Edmonds plans to enjoy the break from studying.

“I’m going to be attending with a lot of my friends and I’m also happy because my friend named B.Taitt will be performing too,” she said.

Spring Fest will also feature Indianapolis rapper Mark Battles, student DJ Jordan Moody and DJs B-Rad, Goldie and Day Day.