Riley Hospital dedicates room to Ball State Dance Marathon

DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY
DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

Riley Hospital for Children has dedicated a room in the Stem Cell Unit to Ball State Dance Marathon in honor of the money they have raised for the hospital.

After DM reached their goal of $500,000 this year, Ball State DM’s president Max Browning said the hospital wanted to find a way to honor them.

“It really means a lot to us in the Dance Marathon movement,” Browning said. “It really shows that we’re not fighting only for those who come to our marathon, but we’re fighting for anyone who ever has to go through treatment at Riley Hospital.”

Ball State DM has raised over $1.2 million for Riley Hospital for Children since 2003, according to bsudancemarathon.org.

The hospital had already dedicated a room to Indiana University and Purdue University.

The room is full of toys and games that children undergoing treatment are able to play with and enjoy.

A few weeks ago, some of the DM members went to Riley Hospital for Children for a room-naming ceremony. They were able to see a replica of the plaque on the door, and Browning, along with two others, were able to go up to the Stem Cell Unit to see the plaque.

“It was awesome because it’s so difficult to imagine that there’s a sign in the room in the hospital, like cool,” Browning said. “But when you go to the stem cell unit, it’s an entirely different feel. The families with kids there, they’re the sickest of the sick. So being able to see just how much the sign truly means to the hospital and to the families … it meant a lot that we were able to have a room dedicated to us that is full of joy on such a sad unit.”