Senior sees team evolve as 4-year starter

Senior outside attacker Shane Witmer hits the ball during the game against Ohio State on Feb. 21 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

Shane Witmer Biography

Jersey number - 7

Position - Outside attacker

Height - 6-foot-3

Year - Senior

Hometown - Naperville, Ill.

High school - Naperville North

Major - Accounting

Experience - Three letters

Senior Shane Witmer goes up for a solo block, and the Worthen Arena crowd comes to its feet.

Witmer, along with many past and current Cardinals, have ignited the Ball State home crowd with their play. He is one of four seniors on this season's team.

However, he is the only one of those seniors to play in the starting lineup all four years.

"The team definitely evolved, and it's cool. Since I played a lot, I saw all different aspects of the team," Witmer said. "The team this year is very close; we all get along well off the court, and I do anything I can to help them out."

Witmer's game has evolved from his time at Naperville North High School in Illinois. He finished his career with a school-record 1,012 kills and finished with the school's fourth-best single season kill record with 411. He also led the Huskies to a runner-up finish in the state tournament in his senior season.

When he was scouted by Ball State head coach Joel Walton, the Cardinals were in need of a starting outside attacker.

"[Witmer] came in at a time when we needed someone with ball control," Walton said. "He came to us as a freshman who could do so many things well. He also brought a lot of energy to the court."

Witmer is a spark on the floor, with his energy and positive attitude keeping his team motivated offensively and defensively.

This season, he has recorded 138 kills, third on the Ball State roster, while carrying a .237 attack percentage. Witmer also has four service aces, 94 digs and 44 blocks in 66 sets played.

In addition to his success on the court, Witmer has been an Academic All-Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association honoree every year of his career.

An accounting major, he has found time to improve off the court while handling the demands of a Division I sport.

"It's not as hard as it really sounds, you just need to be pro-active with your school work," Witmer said. "You just have to stay on top of it. If you try and want to do good, you can get good grades."

As his time as a student-athlete comes to a close, Witmer is looking to lead his team to success for the remainder of the regular season and the postseason.

He suffered an ankle injury against Grand Canyon on March 14, however, and didn't travel with the team over the weekend.

Despite the late-season setback, Witmer says he will work harder than ever to return to the lineup and make an impact as his career winds down.